City Workshops: Tailored Solutions
Diverse demands and limited resources for urban park systems require city leaders to work more effectively across sectors, leveraging civic assets as well as funding and expertise from the public, nonprofit, and private realms. Workshops allow park and recreation leaders to:
- Build skills for effective cross-sector park partnerships, developing their collaborative governance capacity.
- Seed replication of innovation by learning about best practices and effective strategies from other cities with similar challenges and opportunities.
- Support new collaborative partnerships by hosting workshops locally with cross-sector participation.
Workshops are led by professional facilitators and utilize a unique curriculum that includes interactive, peer-to-peer learning where city leadership teams and cross-sector partners explore new approaches to challenges and jump-start new collaborations. They are customized to meet the needs of local communities and can be offered in single and half-day formats.
Past workshops have been held in Detroit, Birmingham, Flint, Los Angeles, Saint Paul, Traverse City, San Jose, Charlestown, and Kansas City.
Interested in Bringing a Workshop to Your City?
- City Parks Alliance's workshop process helped Railroad Park Foundation in numerous ways. It highlighted best practices from other parks/green space organizations across the nation, spurring ideas and creating meaningful input about the importance of parks and greenspace in Birmingham, AL. It provided an important opportunity for attraction parks, city leadership and city parks & recreation leaders to come together. Additionally, it galvanized conversations about funding for parks and led to an exciting idea regarding how our local parks can work together to raise awareness and funds.Camille Spratling Executive Director Railroad Park Foundation Birmingham, AL
- We are truly fortunate to have connected with City Parks Alliance as we sought to improve the loose network of community organizations and activists with whom we work. CPA conducted a workshop that opened our eyes and provided us with practical, usable skills and knowledge to make our network much more powerful. That workshop has taken us to a higher level. Thanks to CPA and Caryn Ernst.James P. Reber Executive Director San Jose Parks Foundation San Jose, CA