Summary of Position:
Under the supervision of the Park Garden Maintenance Manager, the Zonal Horticulturist manages, maintains and beautifies the city of Charleston’s parks and greenspaces through gardening using gardening knowledge, expertise and best practices. S/he works with volunteers and the community to create stunning public spaces and establish a connection between people and their parks.
- Monitors, manages, and maintains all existing parks, greenspaces and gardens (in zone, and everywhere else as needed) including new installations, weeding, watering, pruning and grooming, composting, mulching, mowing, identifying insect and disease problems and treating.
- Orders/purchases plants, bulbs, tools, supplies, etc within budget as needed.
- Schedules volunteer Garden in the Park opportunities in coordination with, and the support of the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Creates and updates plant database.
- Logs all volunteer hours in database.
- Assists with annual budgeting.
- Provides social media and blog content with program news and updates.
- Communicates with City of Charleston staff as needed.
- May assist at Conservancy community and fundraising events.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of plants and plant science and garden maintenance using horticulture disciplines
- Ability to work in all weather conditions and perform activity related to the planting and care of plants and gardens
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to drive trucks and trailers
- Ability to operate and maintain simple power equipment
- Excellent communication skills with staff, volunteers, and community/users of our parks.
- Ability to teach others through hands on methods; enjoy working with volunteers who may have minimal gardening experience.
- Evening & weekend availability may be required
Training and Experience
- Associate Degree or Bachelor Degree in Horticulture required
- 1-3 years of experience in Horticulture
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will spend a large majority of time walking, standing, bending, crouching and using their hands to push and pull. The employee is required to lift and /or move up to 20 to 50 pounds regularly and up to 100 pounds occasionally.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee will be exposed to hot or cold temperatures, outside weather conditions across all season, exposure to dust and dirt and chemicals, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is often loud.
- Physical ability to stand for long periods of time
- Physical ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Activities, duties, and responsibilities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Charleston Parks Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by law.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and salary requirements to [email protected] by September 25, 2019. No phone calls, please.
Reports to: Park Garden Maintenance Manager
Location: Charleston, SC (West Ashley & Downtown)
Position Type: Full-time, non-exempt, 37.5 hours per week
Benefits: 20 days paid time off; 10 paid holidays; medical, dental, vision insurance for small fixed monthly payment; long-term disability and life AD&D insurance paid by Conservancy; short-term disability, accident, and critical illness benefits available.