Summary of Position:
At the heart of the Conservancy’s programming is an excellent volunteer experience, which allows the Conservancy to fulfill its mission of inspiring the people of Charleston to connect with their parks and together create stunning public spaces and a strong community. Reporting to the Volunteer Manager, the Volunteer Coordinator plays a significant role managing the Conservancy’s volunteer program which provides opportunities to support the Garden in the Parks park maintenance program, the Gather and Garden community gardening program, many free community events such as Movie Nights, Sunday Brunch, Light the Lake and Teddy Bear Picnic, as well as fundraising events. Key responsibilities include engaging the community to become active volunteers, recruiting and maintaining a dedicated volunteer force, and providing an excellent volunteer experience for the Conservancy’s volunteers, known as the Park Angels.
- Coordinates all aspects of volunteer opportunities to ensure the very best volunteer experience. These opportunities may include, but are not limited to: Garden in the Parks work days, Gathering in the Garden work days, volunteer recruitment events, community events, community engagement programming, development events, and office administration.
- Responds to all volunteer inquiries in a timely manner.
- Completes onboarding of new volunteers.
- Schedules volunteer opportunities via Salesforce and the Conservancy’s website for ongoing needs as well as one-time or annual events.
- Documents and tracks volunteer hours via Salesforce.
- Provides hospitality to volunteer groups and develops relationships with group contacts.
- Assists program staff with onsite direction of volunteers on gardening days and at events.
- Under the supervision of the Volunteer Manager, ensures the following requirements are fulfilled:
- Volunteer recruitment, including identifying and attending community-wide volunteer fairs and other potential recruitment events.
- Evaluation of volunteer and the volunteer program to ensure effectiveness and make recommendations for changes when necessary.
- Regular communication with Conservancy staff to determine volunteer needs and to publicize opportunities.
- Volunteer stewardship and recognition.
- Staff support for event committees with respect to volunteer coordination.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability and desire to work with people
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to communicate with and relate to a wide array of individuals
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as on a team
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, Google Apps, and database management, Salesforce experience a plus
- Valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including some evenings and weekends
Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- One to three years of experience in business, with volunteer management or customer service experience preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will spend a large majority of time walking, standing, bending, crouching and using their hands to push and pull. The employee is required to lift and/or move 20 pounds regularly and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be exposed to hot or cold temperatures, outside weather conditions across all seasons, exposure to dust and dirt, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be in a normal office setting with some time working on a computer.
- Valid SC Driver’s License and access to reliable transportation.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Activities, duties, and responsibilities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Charleston Parks Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by law.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and salary requirements to [email protected] by September 25, 2019. No phone calls, please.
Reports to: Volunteer Manager
Location: Charleston, SC (West Ashley)
Position Type: Full-time, non-exempt, 37.5 hours per week
Benefits: 20 days paid time off; 10 paid holidays; medical, dental, vision insurance for small fixed monthly payment; long-term disability and life AD&D insurance paid by Conservancy; short-term disability, accident, and critical illness benefits available.