The Presidio Trust is seeking an inspiring Volunteer Coordinator to join our dynamic team in the Presidio. The Presidio is home to the spectacular vistas, nature, and programs that you would expect in a great national park, plus much more. On any given day at the Presidio, organizations are pursuing new ideas, scientists are conducting research, and people of all ages are learning, playing and exploring. Hundreds of former military buildings are animated by more than 3,000 residents and 200 companies, including high tech start-ups, innovative non-profits and others that offer a welcoming mix of visitor experiences. The park is home to museums, art and archaeological sites, and San Francisco’s most panoramic network of trails and diverse recreation opportunities.
At the Presidio Trust, we value public service. Our volunteers embody that service ethos each day as they plant and tend to Presidio landscapes, uncover and catalogue archaeological artifacts, serve as docents, give tours, and welcome the public. As the Volunteer Coordinator, you share our passion for volunteerism, bringing experience in volunteer management and a strong commitment to public service. You’re equally comfortable working indoors and outdoors with volunteers of all backgrounds, affiliations, and walks of life. You bring strong organizational and planning skills to continue to grow and improve volunteer opportunities within the Presidio.
This is a full-time permanent position with benefits. Applications received by January 3rd, 2020 will receive first consideration. We are planning to hold the first round of interviews the second week of January, and set a start date no later than end of the month.
- Work collaboratively with staff to help plan and deliver outdoor stewardship volunteer group programs, weekly programs, and large-scale volunteer events (such as MLK Day of Service, Presidio Planting Day, Earth Day, National Trails Day, and Coastal Cleanup Day). Welcome and register volunteers; transport and guide volunteers to work sites; assist with coordination of tool, supply and snack needs; lead and co-lead volunteer activities; provide volunteer supervision and quality control support; ensure volunteers are informed about safety hazards and precautions and trained on proper tool use and implementation of project tasks; incorporate age-appropriate learning opportunities and enrichment activities when appropriate; and reinforce rules governing volunteer participation and safety.
- Keep volunteer supplies stocked and organized and maintain vehicles, tools, tool room, and tool trailers
- Handle volunteer engagement purchasing needs and donations
- Support volunteer planning, recruitment, onboarding, training, enrichment, appreciation, and evaluation efforts as needed
- Participate in and coordinate improvement projects
- Respond to volunteer inquiries and support relationship building with targeted organizations
- Enter data in an online volunteer management database and assist with reporting of volunteer statistics and accomplishments
- Write volunteer engagement procedures, protocols, reports, and handbooks
- Organize and manage volunteer photos and files
- Bachelor’s degree in a related subject (social science, communications, land management, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and motivate groups of volunteers of all ages, including youth
- Strong commitment to public service and volunteerism
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Positive, professional and engaging demeanor and a strong customer service ethic
- Excellent communication and writing skills, including speaking before groups
- Detail-oriented and strong organizational skills, with an ability to handle multiple tasks
- Ability to work in a team and to work with a diversity of people with different backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, sexualities, ages, and viewpoints
- Ability to work cooperatively with multiple departments
- Ability to work outdoors in all kinds of weather and site conditions
- Experience working with hand tools and basic knowledge of tool maintenance and safety
- Ability to lift 40 pounds or more
- Comfortable with computers including proficiency with Internet, data management, and Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to work a Tuesday to Saturday schedule and occasional evenings and holidays
- Experience leading volunteers in gardening, landscape maintenance, habitat restoration, trail work, forestry work, or similar.
- Passion for parks; strong desire to work for the Presidio.
- Bilingual in Spanish or Cantonese desirable.
- Graphic design, video production, and photography skills desirable.
About Volunteers in the Presidio
In cooperation with the National Park Service and the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy, the Presidio Trust offers opportunities for individuals and groups to care for the Presidio, meet new people, learn new skills, and establish a connection to the Park. Volunteers maintain trails, care for historic forest, beautify gardens and landscapes, restore native habitats, greet and guide visitors, and so much more. Volunteers contributed 78,000 hours of service to the Trust last year. The amount of hours donated by volunteers has more than doubled since 2008, when volunteers donated 36,417 hours to the care and preservation of the Presidio of San Francisco.
The Presidio Trust has identified this position as subject to a driver’s license and a standard employment background investigation, which shall consist of a review of applicable county, state and Federal criminal and civil records. An individual’s granting of a background investigation and resulting report is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of the investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete a background investigation.
The Presidio Trust is an equal opportunity employer, offering a competitive benefits package. To apply call (415) 561-5300 (Monday-Friday, 8 am – 5 pm) to request an application package, OR download the application from our website, www.presidio.gov, and mail the application to Employee Support Services, Presidio Trust, P.O. Box 29052, San Francisco, CA 94129-0052.