Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy
Title: Volunteer and External Affairs Coordinator
Type of Position: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports to: Marketing and External Affairs Manager
The Greenway Conservancy, the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway, is seeking a highly motivated and reliable individual to join our team as the Volunteer and External Affairs Coordinator. The Volunteer and External Affairs Coordinator will oversee our volunteer program, which offers opportunities for individuals, corporate groups, students, and other community groups to experience hands-on learning while they assist us with park care and organizational stewardship. Additionally, this position will support publicizing the work of The Greenway, specifically by generating social media and marketing content and working with community groups and public inquiries.
The Greenway Conservancy is committed to providing a park environment that is welcoming to racially, culturally, and economically diverse residents and visitors. You can read more about our mission, vision, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion on our website.
Volunteer Program Oversight
- Assure high-quality, engaging, and innovative experiences for volunteers resulting in a beneficial contribution to The Greenway and the Conservancy.
- Oversee relationships with individual volunteers, corporate groups, local universities and other volunteer partners, providing excellent customer service.
- Collaborate with all departments, especially Horticulture and Maintenance, to develop specific departmental volunteer opportunities, providing communication, coordination, and staff support. Work closely with the Development department on corporate volunteer engagement, fees and individual giving.
- Plan volunteer recognition programs and events, including an annual picnic, continuing education opportunities, and service-based gifts.
- Regularly analyze and track feedback from volunteers and staff; work with staff to proactively address feedback and improve program outcomes throughout the season.
- Establish outreach and recruitment strategies to match organizational needs and opportunities; conduct annual needs assessment and report of program successes.
- Oversee the volunteer database, files, and metric tracking utilizing Salesforce.
- Analyze the current volunteer sign up system and hours tracking software to determine their efficiency and implement improvements to the processes, if possible.
- Market all volunteer programs, gathering photographs and stories, and managing volunteer eNews, social media, and website pages.
- With the Marketing and External Affairs Manager, oversee Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn accounts, as well as the Conservancy website, creating and posting regular and timely content.
- Create and finalize weekly Conservancy eNews, gathering content from across the organization.
- Respond to public inquiries and occasionally represent the organization at community meetings and events.
- Organize and oversee Greenway tours, working with volunteers and staff to provide tours to the public as well as accommodate private tour requests. Solicit feedback and implement improvements to tours as needed.
- Other duties as assigned related to the Conservancy’s outreach work, or to support partners or stakeholders, including exploring new initiatives
Skills and Qualifications
- Experience working at or studying in a related field, including nonprofit programming, public parks/gardens, volunteer management, marketing, social media, or external affairs.
- Proven track record of:
- working with a diverse range of audiences and organizations;
- multi-tasking and prioritization
- succeeding in a fast-paced and innovative environment.
- Demonstrated skill in creative problem-solving, can-do attitude, and staying calm under pressure.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Bilingual skills a plus, especially in Chinese languages given our proximity to the Chinatown neighborhood.
- Computer proficiency, especially in Google for Work (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Gmail) and Microsoft (Excel, PowerPoint, Word). Salesforce experience a plus.
- Experience working in a diverse and inclusive organization is a plus.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather, to kneel or stand for periods of time, and to lift 50 pounds, which are all needed for volunteer event oversight.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to drive Conservancy vehicles in downtown Boston to move event supplies.
- This is a full time (40 hours a week) position with full benefits.
- Work hours are generally Monday through Friday, but flexibility is required to accommodate some evening or weekend shifts, typically no more than 1-2 times/month.
- Work will generally take place indoors, but the position will require time in the park working at volunteer events, especially between April and October.
- This is a hybrid position with the option to work remotely two days a week if the work allows.
- All incoming employees will be required to comply with the Conservancy’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.
- $49,000 – $54,000/year
- Please email the following to [email protected] with “Volunteer and External Affairs Coordinator” in the subject line. Each file name should begin with applicant’s last name.
- one-page cover letter
- one-page resume
- 3 references
- The Greenway Conservancy invites and encourages minority group members, veterans, disabled individuals, women, and people of all gender identities to apply.
- No phone calls, please.
About The Greenway and the Conservancy
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
To learn more about The Greenway and the Conservancy, please visit our website and blog and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.Application Link