Job Summary: The Turf Care Supervisor will be responsible for overseeing the year-round care and maintenance of the Park’s landscapes and grounds at the direction of the Landscape Manager. This includes managing the turf care program, minor repairs, and overall park maintenance efforts. Through oversight and strong collaboration across all departments, the Turf Care Supervisor will be responsible for all aspects of monitoring, caring for, and reporting on designated park zones, including diverse plantings, hardscape elements, and public use of the Park.
Base Schedule: Monday-Friday 7:00am- 3:30pm depending upon season
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
• Work collaboratively and creatively with operations leadership in a team-first environment.
• Supervise grounds maintenance functions – planting, transplanting, weeding, pruning, mowing, string trimming, seeding, fertilizing, irrigation, lawn renovations and restorations, mulching, etc.
• Keep inventory and perform maintenance on tools and supplies assigned to field operations.
• Collaborate with and provide labor support to other departments for the following functions as needed – waste management, basic site furnishing repairs, trail maintenance, erosion control, horticulture, and conservation programs.
• Develop and foster existing equipment vendors relationships, recommend new vendors when appropriate.
• Ensure a strong culture of safety, including compliance with OSHA and other industry standards, and developing and revisiting standard operating procedures as appropriate.
• Oversee contracted services as appropriate; serve as point of contact for contractors when needed.
• Develop a team of equipment operators through hands-on training and mentorship with the following equipment; skid steer, back hoe, commercial mowers, tractors, and turf renovation implements.
• Communicate park operations information to Landscape Manager; assist in developing a proactive, data driven landscape management plan to ensure the proper long- and short-term care of the Park.
• Track productivity for park operations; report on and evaluate efficacy of related park operations. • Participate in internal meetings as appropriate; attend external meetings representing the organization as appropriate.
• Regularly work closely with other staff, volunteers and City of Houston staff.
• Navigation of Park with large truck and trailer and other equipment, as needed.
• Inspect, recognize and report safety issues. • Investigate and respond to park user complaints as appropriate.
• Follow and enforce Conservancy rules, safety policies, procedures and appropriate use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
• Interact with Park patrons in a professional manner – provide accurate and pertinent information regarding Memorial Park Conservancy and the Park.
• Five or more years supervisory experience in turf care, public horticulture maintenance, public parks, sports field and golf course management, or related industry.
• Degree in Turfgrass management, Horticulture, Plant Science, Landscape Management, or related field.
• Diverse knowledge and experience working with and maintaining large field operations equipment
• Experience with park management, safety practices, supervisory and management techniques.
• Computer skills and ability to work with Microsoft Office.
• Experience with asset management software a plus, must be comfortable learning new software.
• Strong communication skills; highly motivated; ability to work independently but also collaboratively.
• Ability to work a varied schedule including weekends, holidays, and evenings.
• Valid driver’s license; (CDL is a plus).
• Ability to obtain pesticide license and become licensed irrigator within 180 days of hire. • Knowledge of Memorial Park a plus.
• Ability to speak English and Spanish preferred.
• Ability to perform heavy, physical labor on a daily basis in all weather conditions.
• Ability to work a varied schedule with overtime including weekends, holidays, and evenings.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
• Sufficient strength and manual dexterity to operate power equipment.
• Ability to stand, crouch, and climb to use ladders and perform various types of manual labor.
• Willing and able to work outdoors all year round.