ABOUT THIS POSITION
Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the country, serving as Arizona’s center of government, commerce, and culture. It is emerging in the new economy with strength in high technology, manufacturing, bioscience research and advanced business services. Phoenix is a young, progressive city, brimming with sports and cultural attractions, distinctive restaurants, fascinating museums, diverse residential options, and endless outdoor opportunities.
The Street Transportation Department currently has vacancies in the Signing and Striping Section of the Traffic Services Division. This Section is responsible for the installation and maintenance of all traffic control signs and pavement markings in the City of Phoenix across a street network of over 5,000 miles of public roadways. This function is essential to Traffic Services’ mission to ensure the safety and mobility of people, goods, and services throughout the City of Phoenix.
- Knowledge of hand tools, sign installation, and pavement marking operations.
- Ability to perceive the full range of the color spectrum.
- Ability to work on City streets near vehicular traffic.
$17.05 (minimum) – $22.95 (maximum) hourly / $35,464.00 – $47,736.00 annually.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA/HDHP plan; wellness incentive of up to $720 annually; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 12.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days and personal leave days. Additionally, effective 10/1/2022, Paid Parental Leave is now offered to eligible employees up to 480 hours (12 weeks) of paid leave for the birth, adoption or foster care placement of a child during a 12-month period.
For more details, visit: Unit 001 Benefits
- Two years of experience assisting a skilled trades person or performing manual work which involved the use of an acquired skill.
- Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
- The City job description can be found here.
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For information regarding pre-screening and driving positions, click here.
- Some positions require the use of personal or City vehicles on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record. Use of a personal vehicle for City business will be prohibited if the employee is not authorized to drive a City vehicle or if the employee does not have personal insurance coverage.
The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
- Experience in operating compressors and jackhammers to breakout, remove, and repair concrete areas.
- Experience installing and maintaining signs, installing and maintaining crosswalks, stencils (i.e. bike markings, turn arrows), working with walk-behind airless striping machines, and traffic control experience.
- Experience with Traffic Sign installation and fabrication and associated equipment.
- Experience with Pavement Marking applications and associated equipment.
- Experience operating a vehicle with a trailer attachment.
- Experience reading and interpreting various maps.
- Experience using common hand tools such as hammers, saws, drills, screwdrivers, wrenches, ratchets, pliers, or similar tools.
- Working outside in a variety of environmental extremes such as heat, cold, rain, air pollution, and dust.
- Working for prolonged periods standing in one location, and/or walking over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces.
- Moving objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Working irregular hours, second or third shift, weekends, holidays and evenings may be required.
Recruitment closes February 21, 2023. All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
This is a position-based recruitment and generates a one time use only list. Once interviews are conducted and candidates are selected, this job posting will be considered closed and candidates will no longer be in consideration for the position applied for. This posting will not result in any ongoing eligibility list.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/current-jobs/ by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
- Job interviews may be held by video or audio conference.
- If you are in need of computer resources, click here for free options.
- Arizona at Work has frequent classes to help with resume writing, interviewing skills, and general career guidance. Click here for more information.
- Explore other Employment Opportunities with the City of Phoenix.
- Subscribe to receive e-mail notifications about new employment opportunities.
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Trades Helper: Job Code 70060, ID # 48687
Building the Phoenix of tomorrow.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.Application Link