Annual Salary Range: $65,000 – $75,000
City Parks Alliance is the only independent, nationwide membership organization solely dedicated to urban parks. The mission of the City Parks Alliance is to engage, educate, and nurture a broad-based constituency to support the creation, revitalization, and sustainability of parks and green spaces that contribute to more vibrant and equitable cities.
City Parks Alliance leads and serves the community of diverse organizations that encompass the parks and recreation world, from neighborhood groups to government agencies, championing high quality urban parks throughout the nation. City Parks Alliance is vital to sound public policy and citizen engagement that recognizes city parks as an integral part of forming strong, vibrant, equitable cities that nurture their communities and local economies. Our vision is that everyone in urban America will have access to the benefits of parks, recreational opportunities, and green spaces.
City Parks Alliance believes that parks and recreation services play a critical role in advancing racial equity. Equity is about fairness: Full and equal access to opportunities, power, and resources so all people may thrive and prosper regardless of demographics. See our organizational values and statement on racial equity and justice for more about our work to advance these principles.
City Parks Alliance’s membership includes city park agencies, nonprofit supporting organizations, planners and architects, community based groups, advocates, corporate leaders, and the philanthropic sector. City Parks Alliance provides member support through a program portfolio of webinars, peer-to- peer conversations, study tours, on-line resources, communications tools, trainings, advocacy efforts, and our biennial Greater & Greener urban parks conference. Membership dues helps cover costs to deliver this programming. As the primary source of our unrestricted operating funds, we seek to expand and enhance this critical source of revenue for the organization.
The Senior Membership Manager’s primary responsibilities will be to meet revenue targets established through the strategic plan and annual budget process and ensure the retention and stewardship of the organization’s core constituents, our members. We are looking for an experienced, goal-oriented member of our team who will be responsible for growing and diversifying our membership. The Senior Membership Manager will also be responsible for administering board giving and working with consultants and the Executive Director to begin planning for a future fundraising campaign to increase our board reserve fund. This full-time position will report to the Executive Director, oversee the Membership Coordinator, and provide some support to the Executive Director. The Senior Membership Manager will engage regularly with other marketing and communications staff, member capacity staff, and consultants.
Primary Responsibilities (with estimated percentage of time):
- Develop and oversee member recruitment, retention, and growth strategies including materials development, targeted social media strategies, and events (45%)
- Support frontline membership engagement (10%)
- Oversee growth of individual contributions, including board and non-board (10%)
- Ensure membership systems are effective and working efficiently and member services and communications are provided in a timely manner (10%)
- Implement membership and event registration scholarships (10%)
- Conduct analysis of membership fee structure and institute recommended changes (5%)
- Provide support for planning a future board reserve fundraising campaign (5%)
- Manage Development and Membership Committee of the board (5%)
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum of 8-10 years’ experience in professional fundraising with a focus on membership marketing and development.
- Demonstrated ability to reach ambitious fundraising goals.
- Strong marketing skills including knowledge of and skills in digital communications and social media marketing.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience with database management; Salesforce experience desired.
- Strong Microsoft Office, Google Apps and Dropbox skills.
- Strong writing and editing abilities; knowledge of AP writing style.
- Excellent project management, prioritization, and time-management skills to balance competing priorities, complex situations, and tight deadlines.
- Friendly and professional demeanor. Excellent interpersonal skills. Sense of humor. Team player with ability to work independently and in a small office setting.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Enthusiasm for city parks and urban issues a plus.
City Parks Alliance is committed to building a diverse staff and is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people of color to apply.
Please submit resume, cover letter, and three references in one pdf with subject line “Senior Membership Manager Application” to email@example.com.
Deadline: Applications considered on a rolling basis.
- 15 days/year of paid vacation
- 10 paid holidays annually
- Up to 12 days of paid sick leave per year
- Health/vision/dental insurance
- Short term disability
- Workers compensation
- Tax deferred annuity plan: Eligibility to join CPA plan with employee contributions upon hire, employer contribution begins after two years of full-time employment
- Flexible schedule
City Parks Alliance is located at 1777 Church Street, NW, Washington, DC, but work is currently conducted remotely during the pandemic. We are reassessing options for combined remote and in-person balance.