About our Job
These are seasonal positions that will work no more than 39 hours per week and are not eligible for benefits.
Denver Parks and Recreation’s Forestry team is seeking multiple Urban Forestry Utility Workers to assist teams with various urban forestry operations such as tree planting and establishment, tree care, pruning, and removals for the City and County of Denver. These positions are integral to maintaining Denver’s urban canopy and provide opportunities to learn best practices in urban forestry management and determine if arboriculture is a career path that interests you.
These positions will report to 945 S Huron St. and will generally work Monday – Friday between 6:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m., with some weekends (dependent on operations need and team schedule).
Skills to be developed and utilized:
- Utilize, maintain, and conduct minor repairs on various hand-powered tools and motorized equipment in a safe and efficient manner, such as stump grinders, wood chippers, water trucks, skid steer loaders, pick-up trucks, arrow boards, chainsaws, blowers, pesticide spray equipment, staking tools, tree rigging and climbing gear, air spades, shovels, rakes, and brooms
- Work outdoors and perform physical exertion to complete urban forestry operations and implement arboriculture best practices alongside more seasoned and knowledgeable arborists:
- Tree species identification and selection; planting and establishment of trees
- Perform assistance related tasks to support advanced tree climbing, pruning and removal; set-up and maintain a safe work zone, clear debris, communicate with and assist Arborist Technicians; opportunities to learn climbing and rigging techniques
- Implement prescribed plant health care techniques such as trunk/soil injections and applications of various products
- Perform additional general park maintenance duties such as snow removal operation
We are looking for reliable individuals who enjoy working outside and have an interest in trees and arboriculture. Our ideal candidates will have:
- Knowledge of trees in the Front Range area with the ability to identify common species
- Experience with tree planting and establishment, proper tree care, pruning, and/or removals
- Experience operating various tree care equipment and hand tools in a safe manner
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualification:
- Requires a valid Driver’s License at the time of application. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment