This posting will accept applications until 11:59p on Wednesday, October 5.
Denver Parks and Recreation (DPR) employees are devoted to positively impacting our diverse population, including children, youth, adults, seniors, and adaptive populations. With an extensive schedule and an active mixed-generational, multi-cultural population of patrons, our centers and programs provide opportunities to connect, develop, and recreate to all city residents. Our core program offerings include MY Denver, Community Recreation, Fitness, Aquatics, Youth Sports, Citywide Adult Sports, Active Older Adults, Adaptive Recreation, Outdoor Recreation and much more.
Denver Parks and Recreation (DPR) provides a broad range of programs, services, facilities and park amenities in the City and County of Denver. Outdoor Adventure and Alternative Sports, specifically, facilitates critical adventure-based programs in our Urban Parks. Programs include but are not limited to: Ruby Hill Rail Yard, Skateboarding, Learn to Bike, and BMX.
DPR recognizes the importance of diversity in the representation of our organization to best serve our customers and community. To that end, DPR is committed to:
- Examining department policies and processes that value diverse perspectives and eliminate barriers to inclusion
- Identifying where inequities exist and implementing strategies to ensure equitable outcomes
- Strengthening diversity in Parks and Recreation services by transforming policies to institutionalize equity
- Reinvesting in resources aimed at ensuring DPR is an equitable and just organization
We are looking to hire a Senior Recreation Supervisor to oversee the Outdoor Adventure and Alternative Sports program, as well as Athmar Recreation Center.
- Provide leadership for day-to-day operations of Outdoor Adventure/Alternative Sports Program and Athmar Recreation Center.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with community groups and other organizations to identify and assess community needs, develop/modify programs, and guide implementation to improve services
- Plan, assign, and evaluate the work of recreation staff members; provide training and mentorship to staff, and establish work goals and objectives
- Coordinate special events, activities, and programs and collaborate with other recreation staff to develop interagency coordinated programs
- Serve on committees to innovate and modify Outdoor Adventure recreation services
- Manage center and program budgets and allocate resources accordingly
- Implement and enforce rules, policies, and guidelines for recreation participants and ensure a safe, fun environment for all center patrons and staff
- Plan, assign, and evaluate the work of recreation staff members
- Provide technical expertise to staff, and establish staff work goals and objectives
- Create and meet community outreach goals to solicit input regarding the program’s direction and effectiveness, and to develop and administer new programs based on community needs
- Oversee program calendar and staff scheduling to maximize programming opportunities while ensuring that staffing and resources are available to support the programs
- Implement and enforce rules and policies for recreation participants and ensure a safe, fun environment for all center patrons and staff
- Train staff members, ensures staff understands policies and procedures, and ensures that work conforms to standards and regulations
- Manage Outdoor Adventure program sites and locations, and collaborate with full-time staff and risk management to develop policies and procedures for new program activities
- Respond to formal and informal employee grievances and prepare written responses as necessary; document causes for disciplinary action and initiate letters of reprimand and formal recommendations for disciplinary action
- Perform other duties as assigned
We are looking for a passionate and organized recreation professional with extensive experience in operational efficiency and supervising outdoor adventure recreation programs with a focus on Bike Programs, including bike park terrain, snowboard and ski rail yard terrain, BMX and Skateboarding. Our ideal candidate will be engaged in keeping up with recreation trends and innovations to mirror the high performance and customer service standards of our department.
Additionally, our ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Outdoor Recreation, Recreation Management, or another directly related field
- Wilderness First Aid Certification and certifications in other outdoor recreation disciplines
- Experience in various supervisory functions, including leading a diverse team of part-time and full-time staff
- Experience improving and sustaining operational efficiency of a recreation facility and recreation program area
- Experience mentoring and coaching others in a professional group environment
We realize that your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience: Three (3) years of supervisory experience in recreational operations, core recreational function(s), and/or city-wide program administration in a community recreation program
- Equivalency: One (1) year of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education; additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements
- Licensures/Certification(s): valid Driver’s License at the time of application; requires certification in CPR/First Aid at the time of application or within six months of hire date; licensure and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment
To be considered for this position, you must include a resume with your job application (upload the attachment(s) to the Resume/CV section on the My Experience tab).Application Link