This position is open until filled and may be closed anytime without notice. Position to begin in September 2021.
You will supervise and manages major planning and development projects within Parks and Public Lands. This is a highly responsible position in management, planning, design and development of municipal land and facilities. Conducts park planning and acquisition studies; oversees multifaceted master plan development, performs professional landscape design work, construction, and contract administration for the development of parks, trails, natural lands, urban plazas, streetscapes, and other Public Lands’ facilities to meet current and long-range City plans.
This position requires planning expertise in complex, current and long-range planning research, analysis, team coordination and the political processes necessary for review and adoption of master plans and other complex planning projects.
Offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a criminal background check in accordance with City policy and applicable law. Criminal offenses will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and do not automatically disqualify a candidate from City employment.
- Prepares, supervises, and manages the design and construction of planning and development projects utilizing general design principles and Salt Lake City Standards and codes, and construction principles. Reviews plans submitted by consultants and assures complete designs follow standards as set by Salt Lake City, various codes, or standard construction principles. Assists in developing policies and procedures to manage landscape architectural planning, design, and construction projects.
- Assists in managing, reviewing, and performing long range planning for major projects and coordinates parks projects with appropriate City departments
- Assists in the development, update and preparation of the Public Lands’ Comprehensive Masterplan, Needs Assessment and Strategic Plan. Conducts analysis, technical investigation and research related to park planning projects and issues. Participates in consultant selection and approval of their assignments, parameters, and work.
- Assists in the development of Public Lands related Capital Improvement Projects including project budgets, time scheduling and phasing to interface with fiscal abilities and municipal needs. Serves as advisor on facility expansions in parks and recreation, street improvements and related needs.
- Prepares project documents, monitors, and complies with bidding procedures and meets periodically with departmental staff to review project status.
- May represent Salt Lake City Corporation on various ad hoc committees or statutory boards as public lands planning designee. Coordinates with city department officials and other government management personnel. Conducts community and stakeholder outreach and engagement for planning and development efforts, in coordination with other members of the City’s public engagement team.
- Develops and supervises projects such as capital improvements program for public facilities from needs assessment through project selection.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from a four-year accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Planning, Project Management, Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Urban Planning or a related field.
- Three (3) to five (5) years paid professional experience in the areas of public or private landscape, architectural or civil engineering practice or public sector project management. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted one for the other on a year‑for‑year basis but must include a minimum of three years’ experience in the simultaneous coordination of various planning team projects.
- Ability to coordinate or perform compilation, analysis and preparation of professional written reports and technical analyses and forecasts
- Demonstrated ability to work interdependently with initiative, reliability, and appreciation of team member contributions.
- Knowledge of State and Federal laws relating to land use planning and Federal environmental regulations and the NEPA process.
- Ability to visit various construction and work site locations.
- Possession of a valid drivers’ license or driving privilege card.
- Previous experience working in municipal government and local government context.
- Membership in the American Society of Landscape Architects, American Institute of Planners or equivalent organization.
- One year of professional park planning experience.
- Possession of an AICP certificate.
- Demonstrated ability to use computer graphic software.
- Knowledge of Historic Preservation and Urban Design.
- Knowledge of issues, policies, regulations, and best management practices as they relate to natural land and parks management and design, water quality protection, habitat restoration, nature area recreation, native plant care, trail construction and maintenance, control methods and applications for noxious weed monitoring and abatement.
- Knowledge of capital improvements programs.
- Knowledge of budgeting, land conservation, open space management, park planning and development.
- Knowledge of methods used to measure and assess site and environmental conditions.
- Knowledge of current trends in natural area, park and recreation facility development and design.
- Health benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and an HSA/FLEX account
- Paid time off including vacation days, personal days and 12 paid holidays
- The City contributes 10% of your annual salary to your choice of retirement programs
- Tuition Reimbursement
NOTE: Interested candidates must complete and submit a Salt Lake City application and current resume to Human Resources through the website at https://www.slc.gov/hr/home/job-center.Application Link