ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Parks and Recreation Department provides residents and visitors more than 41,000 acres of desert parks and mountain preserves. The parks feature 41 trailheads and more than 200 miles of trails, and 182 city parks. Additionally, there are 32 community and recreation centers, classes and sports programs for all ages, 29 pools, eight golf courses, and a variety of specialty and cultural venues and facilities.
The Parks Foreman I position interacts with park patrons and the general public, leads and directs field employees in the maintenance of parks (including turf grass, habitat restoration areas, and sports fields), arboriculture, programming and maintenance of automated irrigation systems, buildings and facilities, street right-of-way landscapes, and utilizing sustainable landscape management techniques.
Other duties include:
- Supervising the work of field staff
- Planning and coordinating projects
- Reviewing and evaluating contracted services
- Completing required reports
- Complying with environmental regulations
- Completing general administrative duties
- Coordinating projects with other City departments
The position is a working Foreman that requires being with the crew to direct and assist with field activities, as well as perform office/supervisor functions. The position requires the ability to respond to related emergency situations and handle any issues with minimal supervision.
- Communicating effectively with the public and providing excellent customer service.
$18.73 (minimum) – $28.44 (maximum) hourly / $38,958.40 – $59,155.20 annually.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA/HDHP plan; wellness incentive of up to $720 annually; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 12.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days and personal leave days. Additionally, effective 10/1/2022, Paid Parental Leave is now offered to eligible employees up to 480 hours (12 weeks) of paid leave for the birth, adoption or foster care placement of a child during a 12-month period.
For more details, visit: Unit 007 Benefits
- Three years experience in turf maintenance, garden care, custodial maintenance, or related experience.
- Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
- The City job description can be found here.
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For information regarding pre-screening and driving positions, click here.
- These positions require the use of personal or City vehicles on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record. Use of a personal vehicle for City business will be prohibited if the employee is not authorized to drive a City vehicle or if the employee does not have personal insurance coverage.
The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
- Experience in or with:
- Being a supervisor or lead.
- Maintenance areas such as Parks and commercial landscape.
- Computer skills including data entry, Microsoft Office, and email.
- Water management and irrigation.
- Landscape, horticulture, and athletic turf management.
- Internal and external customer service.
- Facility maintenance and pesticide management.
- Advanced training, professional development, or additional certifications related to this field.
Recruitment closes January 30, 2023. All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
This is a position-based recruitment and generates a one-time use only list. Once interviews are conducted and candidates are selected, this job posting will be considered closed and candidates will no longer be in consideration for the position applied for. This posting will not result in any ongoing eligibility list.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/current-jobs/ by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
- Job interviews may be held by video or audio conference.
- If you are in need of computer resources, click here for free options.
- Arizona at Work has frequent classes to help with resume writing, interviewing skills, and general career guidance. Click here for more information.
- Explore other Employment Opportunities with the City of Phoenix.
- Subscribe to receive e-mail notifications about new employment opportunities.
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Parks Foreman I: Job Code ID #48472
Building the Phoenix of tomorrow.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.Application Link