ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Parks and Recreation Department provides residents and visitors more than 41,000 acres of desert parks and mountain preserves that feature 41 trailheads and more than 200 miles of trails, 182 city parks, 32 community and recreation centers, classes, and sports programs for all ages, 29 pools, eight golf courses, and a variety of specialty and cultural venues and facilities.
Groundskeepers perform routine custodial and maintenance work on buildings, grounds, golf courses, and gardens. Position requirements vary by assignment and duties may include operating lawn mowers and other electric and gas-powered equipment; working on a crew performing grounds maintenance at various parks, golf courses, or facilities; working in landscaped street medians; and conducting janitorial work such as cleaning restrooms, park ramada’s, and grills.
Part-time and Full-Time opportunities exist in the Parks and Recreation Department throughout the Phoenix area.
- Ability to learn cleaning, maintenance, gardening methods, materials, and equipment such as push and riding mowers, string trimmers, edgers, and hedge shears.
- Ability to work in different weather conditions with exposure to the elements.
$15.67 (minimum) – $18.94 (maximum) hourly / $32,594.00 – $39,395.20 annually
Part-time employees are eligible for earned paid sick time, city training, and free or discounted bus and light rail fares.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA/HDHP plan; wellness incentive of up to $720 annually; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 12.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days and personal leave days. Additionally, effective 10/1/2022, Paid Parental Leave is now offered to eligible employees up to 480 hours (12 weeks) of paid leave for the birth, adoption or foster care placement of a child during a 12-month period.
For more details, visit: Unit 001 Benefits
- Must be willing and able to learn the functions of a Groundskeeper. such as:
- Follow verbal and written direction.
- Be dependable and able to actively learn and perform manual labor and physical tasks for a full shift of eight hours or more.
- Some positions require the use of personal or City vehicles on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record.
- Use of a personal vehicle for City business will be prohibited if the employee is not authorized to drive a City vehicle or if the employee does not have personal insurance coverage.
- In addition, individuals may be required to pass an Arizona Department of Transportation physical exam and possess the appropriate commercial driver’s license (C.D.L.). Pre-employment drug testing is required for C.D.L. positions.
- Employees in C.D.L. positions will be subject to unannounced alcohol and drug testing as a condition of continued employment.
- The City job description can be found here.
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For information regarding pre-screening and driving positions, click here
The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
- Experience working on landscaping at parks, playgrounds, homes, golf course, etc.
- Moving objects weighing up to 50 pounds may be required.
- Requires working outside in a variety of environmental extremes such as heat, cold, rain, air pollution, and dust.
- Requires walking for prolonged periods which may include walking over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces.
Recruitment closes February 6, 2023. All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
This is a position-based recruitment and generates a one time use only list. Once interviews are conducted and candidates are selected, this job posting will be considered closed and candidates will no longer be in consideration for the position applied for. This posting will not result in any ongoing eligibility list.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/current-jobs/ by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
- Job interviews may be held by video or audio conference.
- If you are in need of computer resources, click here for free options.
- Arizona at Work has frequent classes to help with resume writing, interviewing skills, and general career guidance. Click here for more information.
- Explore other Employment Opportunities with the City of Phoenix.
- Subscribe to receive e-mail notifications about new employment opportunities.
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Groundskeeper: Job Code 40060, ID # 48590
Building the Phoenix of tomorrow.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.Application Link