Park Programs Manager
Join our team at Memorial Park Conservancy in Houston, Texas where we are seeking a Park Programs Manager. Memorial Park Conservancy is a private, non-profit organization charged with restoring, preserving and enhancing Memorial Park. At 1,500 acres, Memorial Park is Houston’s largest urban park. It is a public, centrally located wilderness and active recreation park with 4 million visitors annually and a rich cultural history. We are working closely with partners to restore the Park’s ecologies and enhance the Park’s resiliency, deliver $200 million of capital improvements, and innovate park management and operations for this special urban oasis. This role reports to the Chief Operating Officer of the Conservancy and works collaboratively across multiple departments.
Oversees all park user engagement opportunities within the park, including recreation, concessions, permitting, events, membership programming, visitor services, and community outreach. Leads the development and execution of an annual calendar that engages diverse audiences, supports community outreach, creates a connection between the park user and the Conservancy, promotes awareness of MPC, and assists in meeting revenue goals. This position also assists other departments in meeting goals through volunteer support and through co-developing compelling engagement opportunities. The position oversees a small staff including the visitor services team, permitting and programming staff, a volunteer supervisor and in the near term will be responsible for developing a limited recreation management component.
- Oversees the development and execution of a diverse and compelling annual park program that engages our audience, invites new park users, and encourages exploration of different pieces of the Park.
- Develops and executes permitting and concession management and merchandise sales strategies, guidelines and contracts.
- Assists in developing social media and e-communications that are oriented towards park user awareness and engagement.
- Oversees a robust Friends of Memorial Park/Park membership programming and recruitment strategy.
- Participates as a member of the MPC safety committee, ensuring a culture of safety and compliance within the Programming Department.
- Oversees and ensures successful marketing of MPC programming, events, and volunteer and member recruitment.
- Oversees a comprehensive volunteer engagement program that supports all MPC departments.
- As needed, develops guidelines for permitting and programming within the Park.
- Develops and manages budgets, expense projections, cost analysis, and identifies ways to maximize resources.
- Ensures departmental compliance with existing local, state and federal regulations.
- Ensures exceptional front-of-house visitor services operations at the Running Trails Center.
- Provide additional oversight for large-scale or high-profile event within the Park.
- Plans for space activation in new and existing park locations, helping visitors to better utilize the Park while working to minimize crime.
- Works out contracts and timelines with the support of the Mayor’s Office of Special Events or other MPC staff, for the Criterium Series, Bayou City Art Festival, Houston Corporate Run, and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Trail Ride.
- Ensures safety and adherence to Park rules and regulations by staff and Park users.
- Seven (7) years or more experience managing programming, visitor services, or a comparable area within the field of parks and recreation or public space
- Three (3) or more years supervisory experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Knowledge of principles of recreation programming
- Able to excel in a highly collaborative and dynamic environment requiring flexibility
- Energetic self-starter; able to work varied hours including some weekends; strong organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to listen, explain, demonstrate, encourage, and guide.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team to develop ideas and complete tasks
- Possess a passion for parks and the service they provide to the users
- Fluency in Office 365, Outlook, social media
- Ability to occasionally work weekends and evenings as needed for program execution