The Maryland-National Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), a six-time National Recreational and Parks Association Gold Medal Award Winner, is seeking a dependable, self-motivated Barn Assistant to care for and maintain our Park Police Horses and barn facility within the Special Operations Section of the Montgomery County Department of Parks, Park Police Division in Silver Spring, MD.
Join a team of civilian and sworn employees, who along with our Mounted Units, support community events, public safety efforts, and search operations. Our Special Operations Section regularly participates in parades, neighborhood celebrations, school demonstrations, and facilitates large public gatherings.
Behind the vast and diverse Montgomery Parks system that hosts 421 parks and encompasses over 37,000 acres, there is a robust team within the Park Police Division dedicated to protecting the park system and residents of Montgomery County, Maryland.
- Go to our website to learn more: https://www.montgomeryparks.org/.
- Get to know Montgomery Parks and the opportunities available: https://www.montgomeryparks.org/about/divisions/.
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- At least four (4) years’ experience working with horses
- Must be dependable and punctual
- Ability to foster positive working relationships
- Willingness to complete tasks/assignments in the absence of supervisor/manager
- Great work ethic, openness to learning, and respect for animals are required
Examples of Important Duties
- Ensure horses are fed and watered daily. Administer appropriate medications and supplements.
- Perform daily grooming and minor medical care of all horses.
- Maintain muzzles, ears, bridle paths, manes, and coronet bands up to standard for all assigned and unassigned horses.
- Perform minor facility repairs in the barn and around the property. Inspect stalls and fields to ensure animal safety.
- Prepare horses for Park Police details and patrol needs.
- Assist with horse trainings on and off facility property.
- Exercise horses with direction from trainers, if applicable.
- At least one year of college experience preferred
- High School Diploma or GED required
- English as a primary language
- Position is part-time with an average of 30 hours a week; not to exceed 1560 hours in a year
- Work schedule includes Saturday as a mandatory workday
- Candidate must be flexible in their schedule to accommodate occasional early morning or late day details/events, as well as medical and/or weather accommodations for horses
- This position is not eligible for benefits
- A background investigation will be conducted prior to hire
- Position is located primarily at the Woodlawn Park Police substation
- A valid driver’s license is required
Primarily works outside. Exposed to weather, dirt, waste, odors, wildlife, and potentially dangerous insects (i.e., bees, hornets, wasps, etc.). Must be able to bend, stoop, stretch, climb, and lift up to 50 pounds. Works independently and as part of a team. Employees will be required to work in varying degrees of temperatures and weather conditions.
DIVERSITY STATEMENT: Montgomery County Department of Parks believes that diversity in all dimensions of the organization supports and bolsters the innovative thinking essential to its success. Montgomery County Parks does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, political affiliation, ideology or status as a Veteran.Application Link