The High Line is both a nonprofit organization and a public park on the West Side of Manhattan. Through our work with communities on and off the High Line, we’re devoted to re-imagining public spaces to create connected, healthy neighborhoods and cities.
Built on a historic, elevated rail line, the High Line was always intended to be more than a park. You can walk through the gardens, view art, experience a performance, enjoy food or beverage, or connect with friends and neighbors—all while enjoying a unique perspective of New York City.
Nearly 100% of our annual budget comes through donations. The High Line is owned by the City of New York and we operate under a license agreement with NYC Parks.
The operations administrative assistant is a full-time, year-round employee of the High Line. Reporting to the park operations manager, the assistant plays a key role in supporting the physical and logistical administration necessary for the daily operation of the High Line. The assistant will be responsible for daily coordination of park operations needs and staff support and will work directly with the park operations team to manage special projects, provide daily clerical and management support, and plan and implement department-wide goals and objectives.
This is a full time, year round, non-exempt position.
- Provide administrative support to the park operations manager and the operations division, such as preparing meeting agendas and meeting minutes
- Act as the point of contact for staff inquiries, such as access control troubleshooting, uniform distribution, and driver certification
- Track, stock, and maintain first aid supplies in High Line Headquarters and the park
- Maintain up-to-date digital and paper SDS records
- Support employee on-boarding by leading office tours, issuing equipment, and assigning uniform
- Maintain up-to-date tracking records of all inventory assignments
- Track, stock, and coordinate the annual distribution of uniform replacement and stipend for staff
- Support vehicle administration in compliance with NYC Parks vehicle use policy and agreement
- Manage and coordinate offsite storage usage across all departments
- Fill in for front desk receptionist as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a similar field and a minimum of 2 –3 years of demonstrated successful experience in an administrative capacity, preferably in an office, property, warehouse, or public space management field
- Effective interpersonal, communication (oral and written), organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work with people at all levels with an openly engaging, energetic, and diplomatic personality and a service-oriented mindset
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to quality
- High degree of integrity handling sensitive and confidential material
- Excellent computer skills, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Photoshop, and InDesign
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast-changing work environment
- Valid New York driver’s license
- Experience in public park administration
- Experience with public/private partnerships
- Comfortable working in and ability to move about outdoor spaces on the High Line
- Ability to perform limited physical labor (lifting, bending, squatting, etc.)
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to work overtime, select evenings, weekends, holidays as needed