Type of Position: Full-time, Non-exempt
Reports to: Maintenance Team Lead and the Director of Maintenance and Capital
Salary Range: $50,000-$55,000 per year
The Greenway Conservancy is seeking a highly motivated individual for a full-time position as Maintenance Technician. This position will assist the Maintenance Department in maintaining all the hardscape elements along The Greenway. The Greenway is a 17 acre linear park in the heart of Boston that is approximately half devoted to planted area and half to hardscape. The hardscape includes many different types of pavement and masonry walls, seven water features, a custom carousel, more than 250 lights, as well as many park benches and other park furnishings. This is an opportunity to join a dynamic, young organization and help to engage the public with a premier public space.
The Greenway Conservancy is committed to providing a park environment that is welcoming to racially, culturally, and economically diverse residents and visitors. You can read more about our mission, vision, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion on our website.
- Assist the Maintenance Department in its daily operations in maintaining, repairing and cleaning all fountains, lighting and electrical equipment, Conservancy facilities, vehicles and equipment, masonry, site furnishings, artworks and structures on The Greenway
- Assist the Maintenance team in supporting all other Conservancy departments in their efforts to provide Park visitors a safe and high quality experience on The Greenway
- Operate and maintain tools, equipment and vehicles in a safe and proper manner
- Effectively communicate issues with various hardscape elements with the Maintenance department staff
- Assist in the safe and effective completion of tasks performed by interns and Volunteers
- Assist other Conservancy departments as needed
- Perform other assigned duties as they relate to the operation and care of the parks
- Degree from a technical school or relevant education, work experience or apprenticeship is preferred
- Experience in operation, care and maintenance of tools, vehicles, and equipment required for use by the Maintenance Department is preferred
- Experience in operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of advanced lighting system including associated controllers is a plus
- Experience in operation and maintenance of fountains or swimming pools including programmable controllers is a plus
- The following certifications or ability to obtain them is a plus: hoisting license 1C/2A, Certified Pool/Spa Operator license, OSHA 10 Construction Safety certificate, OSHA 30 Construction Safety certificate
- Ability to work in a busy public park setting and commitment to a positive public experience is required
- Two year minimum work experience in building or landscape construction and/or maintenance is preferred
- Masonry knowledge and skill is a plus
- The following traits are valued:
- Attention to detail
- Willingness to learn and advance one’s skill set
- Strong aptitude in mechanical and technical equipment and systems
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong team member who contributes to a positive team environment
- Ability to work independently
- Analytical skill to troubleshoot and diagnose mechanical and technical equipment anomalies
- Computer proficiency in common office programs such as Microsoft Office, Gmail and Google Calendar
- Must be able to work outside in all types of weather, kneel or stand for periods of time, and able to lift 50 pounds
- Must have a valid US driver’s license in good standing
- This is a full-time (5 days /40 hours per week), year-round, non-exempt position with full benefits
- The work schedule is typically Monday through Friday but may include occasional weekend, night and/or holiday work
- All incoming employees will be required to comply with the Conservancy’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.
- Salary range $50,000 – $55,000
- The Greenway Conservancy offers competitive benefits including:
- Medical and dental insurance (Conservancy pays 80% of premiums and 100% medical deductible coverage)
- Vision insurance
- Short and long-term disability, life and AD&D insurance (Conservancy pays 100% of premiums)
- 16 paid vacation days, 13.5 paid holidays, 7 paid sick days annually
- Simple IRA with 3% employer match after 2 years of employment
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Free/discounted admission to many cultural organizations in New England
- The Greenway Conservancy invites and encourages minority group members, veterans, disabled individuals, women, and people of all gender identities to apply.
- Please email the following to [email protected] with “Maintenance Technician” in the subject line. Each file name should begin with the applicant’s last name.
- one-page cover letter
- one-page resume
- Name and contact information for 3 references
- No phone calls, please.
About The Greenway and the Conservancy
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.The Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, which welcomes qualified applicants of all races, ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations.Application Link