Type of Position: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Director of Maintenance and Capital
Salary Range: $85,000-$90,000
The Greenway Conservancy is seeking a highly motivated individual for a full-time position as Maintenance Team Lead (MTL). The MTL assumes a leadership role in the efficient, sustainable and safe maintenance of all hardscape elements and support systems on The Greenway. Maintaining the hardscape of this award-winning public park at a high level is vital to the overall success of the Greenway Conservancy in everything it does each year from hosting 350+ free events to several new Public Art installations and providing a safe, clean open space for all to enjoy.
The Greenway Conservancy is committed to providing a park environment that is welcoming to racially, culturally, and economically diverse residents and visitors. You can read more about our mission, vision, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion on our website.
- Serve as a leader for the maintenance staff, fostering positive morale, planning and scheduling the work, while monitoring productivity and quality.
- Collaborate with the Director of Maintenance and Capital to establish the Maintenance Department’s goals and priorities for the year as well as work through immediate issues.
- Assist in developing and managing an annual budget to provide for all goods, services, and staffing needs to meet goals and objectives.
- Support the work of other departments, such as Public Art (installations), Development (donor plaque installations), Programs (meeting contractors).
- Represent the department’s interests within the Conservancy and to outside organizations.
- Perform a variety of maintenance tasks as well as direct other maintenance staff and contractors in the repair, reconstruction, maintenance and cleaning of all
- hard surfaces (paving, walls, site furnishings, artworks),
- systems (electrical, plumbing, irrigation, water features, high pressure fog technology, specialty lighting, computerized control systems, etc.) and
- structures (including Greenway office(s), facilities, and workshops) to ensure that they are kept in first class condition.
- Oversee the preventative maintenance and repair of all Conservancy vehicles and equipment to ensure that they are in top condition. Including vehicle fleet procurement as needed.
- Proactively maintain water features to minimize downtime.
- Perform a leadership role in the management of subcontractors including but not limited to the snow and ice removal process on an emergency and non-emergency basis during weekdays and weekends.
- Support the Capital Projects team during implementation including small and large repair projects and improvements to parcels.
- Supervise the Park Ranger department and assist with the transition of the Park Ranger department to the Outreach Department.
- Give occasional tours of elements of The Greenway for Board members and external stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as required in the scope of the job as designated by the Director of Maintenance and Capital.
- At least seven years of maintenance experience.
- At least two years of experience managing employees and teams.
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written in English), interpersonal, organizational, technical, mechanical and analytical skills.
- Computer proficiency, experience with Google for Work a plus.
- Ability to operate all tools, vehicles, and equipment required for use by the Maintenance Department.
- Experience with and ability to maintain fountain systems that include water filtration, proper analysis and use of chemicals, compressors and computer controlled programming is required. Train field staff in technical skills as needed to provide ample cross training.
- Must be available to monitor snow removal deicing operations at all times.
- Registration (or willingness to become registered) as a Massachusetts Certified Pool Operator is required and the following are preferred: OSHA 30-hour certification, Aerial Lift certification and Hoisting 2A/1C
- Must have a valid US driver’s license
- This is a full time (40 hours a week) position with full benefits.
Work hours are generally Monday through Friday, but flexibility is required to work occasional weekends, nights and holidays on an as-needed basis, approximately 1-5 times per year.
- All incoming employees will be required to comply with the Conservancy’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.
- Salary range $85-90K
- The Greenway Conservancy offers competitive benefits including:
- Medical and dental insurance (Conservancy pays 80% of premiums and 100% medical deductible coverage)
- Vision insurance
- Short and long-term disability, life and AD&D insurance (Conservancy pays 100% of premiums)
- 16 paid vacation days, 13.5 paid holidays, 7 paid sick days annually
- Simple IRA with 3% employer match after 2 years of employment
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Free/discounted admission to many cultural organizations in New England
About The Greenway and the Conservancy
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.The Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, which welcomes qualified applicants of all races, ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations.