Type of Position: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports to: Maintenance & Construction Supervisor
The Rose Kennedy Greenway is a 17 acre linear park in the heart of Boston that is a diverse public space enjoyed by many. Approximately half of it is devoted to planted area and the other half to hardscape, which the Maintenance and Field Technology Lead will be maintaining. The hardscape includes many different types of pavement and masonry walls, seven water features, a custom carousel, more than 250 lights, as well as park benches and other furnishings. As the Maintenance and Field Technology Lead, you will have the opportunity to use a diversity of skills and knowledge and will act as the lead person in the field.
- Schedule (using CMMS) and manage the Maintenance crew in the field, overseeing daily maintenance operations, keeping staff motivated and productive.
- Proactively work on cross-training maintenance staff in various areas of responsibility.
- Assist the Maintenance team in supporting all other Conservancy departments in their efforts to provide park visitors a safe and high quality experience on The Greenway, ensuring that you and the crew:
- Work safely to not endanger self or others.
- Operate and maintain tools, equipment and vehicles in a safe and proper manner.
- Represent the Greenway in a professional manner.
- Communicate with other maintenance department members as needed.
- Manage and execute the operation of seven water features on the Greenway ensuring safe water quality at all times of operation, including maintenance, repair and cleaning.
- Manage and/or execute maintenance and repair of all electrical, lighting, and electronic systems and equipment in the Greenway parks, facilities and vehicles. This includes quality control, short and long-term planning, and managing inventory.
- Provide all Greenway departments with appropriate safety information and guidelines needed to conduct themselves in a safe manner and protect the park-using public at all times.
- Monitor snow removal by sub-contractor.
- Respond to fountain, electrical, lighting, winter weather and other emergency situations at the Greenway on an as-needed basis.
- Assist with cleaning and repair tasks as they arise.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum four years experience in building or landscape construction and/or maintenance.
- Ability to operate and maintain fountains or swimming pools including programmable controllers is required.
- Ability to operate, maintain and troubleshoot advanced lighting systems including associated controllers is required.
- Significant experience in operation, care and maintenance of tools, vehicles, and equipment required for use within the Maintenance Department.
- Experience supervising a small crew.
- Degree from a technical school is preferred.
- Relevant education, work experience or apprenticeship may be acceptable.
- Certified Pool & Spa Operator or willingness and ability to obtain certification.
- OSHA 30 hour training preferred.
- Hoisting license – 1C, 2A preferred.
- First Aid/CPR certification preferred.
- Must have a US driver’s license in good standing.
- Must be able to work outside in all types of weather, kneel or stand for periods of time and able to lift 100 pounds.
Knowledge and skills:
- Possess strong organizational, technical and analytical skills
- Ability to foster a positive team environment.
- Strong attention to detail in all aspects of job performance.
- Ability to work independently when required in an effective manner.
- Willingness to learn and advance one’s skill sets.
- Computer proficiency in common office programs such as Microsoft Office, Gmail and Google Calendar is required.
- Experience and skill using CMMS preferred.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and commitment to a positive public experience, and concern for the environment and people’s relationship to it.
- This is a full-time (5 days /40 hours per week), permanent position, year-round, non-exempt position.
- The work schedule is typically Monday through Friday but may include some weekend and holiday work.
- Benefits are included.
- From $70k – $85k
- Please email the following to: [email protected] with “Maintenance and Field Technician” in the subject line. Each file name should begin with the applicant’s last name.
- one-page cover letter
- The Greenway Conservancy invites and encourages minority group members, veterans, disabled individuals, women, and people of all gender identities to apply.
- No phone calls, please.
About The Greenway and the Conservancy:
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
The Greenway Conservancy is committed to providing a park environment that is welcoming to racially, culturally, and economically diverse residents and visitors. You can read more about our mission, vision, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion on our website.
To learn more about The Greenway and the Conservancy, please visit our website and blog and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.Application Link