The Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy is currently seeking a highly motivated and reliable individual for a full-time summer position as a Horticulture Intern. This is an opportunity to join a team that is doing ground-breaking ecological Horticulture in a public park setting: among the first in the nation to care for a public park completely organically.
The primary role of the Horticulture Intern is to assist with all responsibilities involved with the Horticultural maintenance and care of the Greenway Parks. This requires the ability to recognize and perform best Horticultural practices including pruning and cultivation techniques for a wide variety of plant material in an urban park setting.
This is a full-time, (5 day/40 hour a week), temporary 12 week position from approximately mid-May through August, 2020. The work schedule is typically Monday through Friday, 7:30am – 3:30pm.
- Ability to adhere to an organic landscape maintenance program established by the Conservancy that requires a basic understanding of soil and plant biological concepts.
- Ability to comprehend and effectively perform assigned tasks such as weeding, pruning, deadheading, watering, and plant installation.
- Ability to demonstrate a basic knowledge of plant identification.
- Ability to operate and maintain tools and equipment in a safe and proper manner.
- Assist with Horticultural volunteer events.
- Participate in staff meetings designed to establish goals, priorities and effective communication.
- Represent the Conservancy’s interests to the public and outside organizations in a professional manner.
- Perform other assigned duties as they relate to the operation and care of the parks.
Knowledge and skills:
- Ability to work in an effective, productive, and safe manner.
- Strong attention to detail in all aspects of job performance.
- Display a willingness to learn and advance one’s skill sets.
- Exhibit strong interpersonal skills that can contribute to a positive team environment.
- Be committed to contributing to a positive public experience, with concern for the environment and people’s relationship to it.
- Must be able to work outside in all types of weather, kneel or stand for periods of time and be able to lift 50 pounds.
How to Apply:
Please send the following: (a) one page cover letter, (b) resume’ and (c) the names and contact information of three references by e-mail to: [email protected] with “Horticulture Intern” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Interviews to be conducted now through Spring ’19.
About The Greenway and the Conservancy
The Rose Kennedy Greenway is a mile-and-a-half of contemporary parks in the heart of Boston. The Greenway, a roof garden atop a highway tunnel, connects people and the city with beauty and fun. The non-profit Conservancy maintains, programs, and improves The Greenway on behalf of the public and in partnership with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
In 2015, The Greenway welcomed 1.2 million visitors for its events, Carousel, food trucks, and Wi-Fi, and millions more casually enjoyed the park. The Conservancy has won numerous awards, including for our organic landscape care and park programming. To learn more about The Greenway and the Conservancy, please visit our website and blog and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
RFKGC is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.