Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy
Title: Horticulture Field Manager
Type of Position: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports to: Superintendent of Horticulture
The Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy is seeking a highly motivated individual for a full-time position as a Horticultural Field Manager. The Conservancy’s Horticulture Team has complete care responsibilities for nearly 10 acres of vibrant green space in the heart of Boston. This is an opportunity to join a team that is doing ground-breaking public park ecological work: among the first in the nation to care for a public park completely organically; caring for a very extensive plant collection; adding first-in-a-Boston-public-park beehives and planting new pollinator habitat.
The primary responsibilities of the Horticultural Field Manager include overseeing the Conservancy’s robust volunteer program and the work volunteers do in the field, managing seasonal workers and interns, working with the Superintendent of Horticulture to manage day-to-day departmental planning, and participating in the horticultural care of the Greenway.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Assist the Superintendent of Horticulture with planning and prioritizing projects and daily work assignments for the Horticulture crew with consideration for efficient use of time and labor.
- Participate in team meetings designed to establish goals and priorities while collaborating with other team members as needed.
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with other Conservancy departments on relevant Operations matters such as Programs or Public Art installations, snow removal plans, etc.
- Execute planning and follow-up for volunteer events, to include scheduling, communicating with volunteers and corporate volunteer coordinators, recordkeeping and maintaining volunteer supply inventory.
- Collaborate with Volunteer and Programs Coordinator on various aspects of the program, including communication, seasonal program planning, goal setting and training of staff to work with volunteers.
- Take the onsite lead of volunteer events occuring, several times a week. This includes, project coordination, task identification, preparation of materials, orientation and training, and photographing events to ensure a beneficial contribution to the care of The Greenway and a first-rate experience for volunteers.
- Represent the Conservancy in a positive and professional manner when interacting with volunteers, the public and other organizations.
Supervision and Horticulture
- Hire and supervise all seasonal staff and interns
- Oversee the safe and effective completion of tasks performed by Seasonal Horticulturists and Intern staff.
- Perform horticultural tasks such as weeding, pruning, deadheading, watering, and plant installation. Own responsibility for an area of The Greenway in our zone management program.
- Perform other assigned duties as they relate to the operation and care of the parks.
Skills and qualifications
- Degrees and accreditations
- Bachelor or Associate degree in Horticulture or a related field preferred. Relevant education and/or work experience may be acceptable.
- Valid US driver’s license in good standing.
- AOLCP accreditation, MCH certification and/or current MA Pesticide Applicator certification a plus.
- 2A/1C MA Hoisting Engineer License is a plus.
- Key experience
- Four or more years of Horticultural field experience and previous supervisory or crew leader experience required.
- Experience in project planning/organizing, particularly being able to estimate timing and resourcing.
- Experience working in an urban public park or garden is a plus
- Experience working with volunteers is preferred.
- Key skills and understanding
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of plant identification, plant distinctions, and basic soil and plant biological concepts.
- Ability to comprehend and adhere to an organic landscape care maintenance program. Passion for organic and sustainable landscape practices.
- Strong attention to detail and time management, sound organizational, technical and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills that contribute to a positive team environment and engage/support volunteers.
- Technical requirements
- Computer proficiency – Microsoft Office, Gmail and Google calendar.
- Proficiency with operating tools, vehicles, and equipment required for use by the Horticulture Department.
- This is a full-time (5-day/40 hours-per-week) position. The work schedule is typically Monday through Friday, 7:30am-3:30pm, but may include weekend, evening and holiday work as deemed necessary.
- Must be able to work outside in all types of weather, kneel or stand for periods of time, and be able to lift 50 pounds.
- The accepted candidate will be required to have a successful completion of a CORI background check.
- The Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy offers a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision insurance, health reimbursement account, paid time off, and commuter programs with pre-tax benefits.
- Please email the following to [email protected] with “Horticultural Field Manager application” in the subject line
- one-page cover letter
- one-page resume
- 3 professional references
- No phone calls, please.
About The Greenway and the Conservancy
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The Greenway welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy is the non-profit responsible for the management and care of The Greenway. The majority of the public park’s annual budget is generously provided by private sources.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.