Fairmount Park Conservancy brings parks to life. We work with the City of Philadelphia and its communities to steward our parks and nurture our shared environment, cultural resources, and public health. We lead capital projects and historic preservation efforts, foster neighborhood park stewardship, attract and leverage investments, and develop innovative programs throughout the 10,200 acres that include Fairmount Park, six other watershed parks, and more than 130 neighborhood parks and gardens around the city.
The Facilities Technician, a new position reporting to the Facilities & Landscape Manager, is responsible for supporting physical maintenance of the historic properties, landscapes, and other assets in the Fairmount Park Conservancy’s portfolio. Maintenance includes minor construction work, landscape maintenance, and auto fleet & machinery coordination. The position will also support other departments during organizational events.
Property Management Support
- Hands-on maintenance and repair tasks within FPC historic properties, as directed by the Facilities & Landscape Manager. Areas of work include carpentry, demolition, masonry, roof work, window repair, and painting, among other work in the field and shop, sometimes focusing on preservation techniques
- Assessment of issues with building systems (HVAC, electrical, safety systems, plumbing, septic, etc.) to be relayed to the Facilities & Landscape Manager for repair conducted by third-party contractors
- Interacting with outside contractors completing work within the properties
- Maintaining safe and healthy work environments in the workshop and on all job sites
- Participating in periodic community outreach workshops in practicable preservation techniques and basic preservation philosophies
- Assisting with landscape maintenance for office facilities and for capital projects in park property, including spring clean-ups, snow removal, plantings, signage placement & removal, trash clean-ups, organic and woody debris removal
Event and Activation Support
- Assisting with set-up and break-down of FPC events and activations
- Provide routine basic maintenance for temporary activations
Fleet and Machinery Support
- General maintenance and cleaning of FPC vehicles
- Driving vehicles to and from auto mechanic for maintenance and repairs
- Assist FPC personnel in using vehicles safely and efficiently
- Storage of large equipment, including mowers
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Required experience in general construction, building, carpentry, and basic remodeling (2+ years)
- Required to possess personal hand tools for use in the field
- Comfort using power tools
- Comfort working with heights
- Familiarity working with electrical systems, plumbing, HVAC, and motorized landscaping equipment a plus
- Required valid state driver’s license and personal transportation to job sites
- Able to communicate clearly, directly, and respectfully in written and verbal form
- Able to prioritize multiple tasks within work plans
- Able to identify and resolve problems in a collaborative manner
Reporting and Management Duties:
This position reports to the Facilities and Landscape Manager but will work closely with the Senior Manager of Activation at Fairmount Park Conservancy.
The salary range for this position is $42,000 – $45,000. Additionally, Fairmount Park Conservancy offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision, as well as life, disability, and retirement benefits
The Fairmount Park Conservancy does not discriminate based on ethnicity, race, gender, or sexual orientation and encourages all qualified individuals to apply.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
All employees at the Fairmount Park Conservancy must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Successful applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination. Reasonable accommodations will be considered for those with qualifying medical or religious exemptions.
Thank you for your interest in the Fairmount Park Conservancy. Please prepare a formal letter of interest, resume, and three work related references as either PDF or Word documents and submit at https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/d250369117dd488baa22a899d5c26268.
Please, no phone calls or mailed applications. Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis.Application Link