Michigan Recreation and Park Association (mParks) is the voice of Michigan’s parks and recreation community. The mission of the organization is to advocate, teach and inspire on behalf of its 2,200+ members representing parks and recreation agencies, students, volunteers and industry suppliers from across the state. The organization is seeking a visionary leader to guide its future.
Working in collaboration with the Board of Directors, the successful candidate will have overall responsibility for mParks membership retention and growth, operational efficiency, financial stability, partnerships, professional development opportunities for membership; and staff development/performance.
The collaborative team-builder selected will genuinely respect diverse points-of-view and strive for an environment in which inclusiveness drives productivity and results.
This is a flexible hybrid-remote position. Our team follows a hybrid schedule working in-office one day a week and remotely for the rest. In-office time is used primarily for team meetings, board and/or committee meetings, and formal and informal collaboration. Staff currently meet on-site one day per week and/or as needed and work remotely the remainder of the week. Approximately 20% of time in this position requires in-state travel and out-of-state when necessary for conferences, tradeshows, etc. We support our employees to do their best work by providing home office technology to support remote collaboration, and intentional strategies to foster a positive work culture.
- $90,000 – $110,000 salary commensurate with experience
- Accrued PTO scale for vacation, sick and personal days
- 2% of base salary invested into a Simple IRA Plan
- Automobile stipend
- Cell Phone Allowance
- $50,000 Life Insurance Policy
- Short Term and Long Term Disability coverage
- Insurance Option 1
- BCBS Health Insurance Plan for individual at 50% of premium provided by mParks
- Dental and Vision Insurance Plans for individual at 100% of premium provided by mParks
- Insurance Option 2
- $100 per month Cash in lieu of option
OTHER REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree
- 8-10 years of increasingly responsible management experience in the parks and recreation industry preferred or the not-for-profit sector that includes strategy development, positive membership results, and creative problem-solving
- Visionary thinker with the ability to lead the organization with innovation and strategy
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to assess current operational effectiveness and needs
- Engaging verbal/written communication skills and ability to comfortably interact with people from all kinds of backgrounds including elected officials
- Understanding of the issues, challenges and opportunities that face the parks, recreation and natural resources profession at the local, county, regional, state and national level.
- Powerful professional network with ability to establish/nurture connections with influencers representing diverse backgrounds and professions
- Successful background in grant-writing and sponsorship development
- Financial acumen to prepare/present budgets and reports and productively interact with external accounting professionals
- Current branding/marketing skills including thorough knowledge of digital and social media
- Proven ability to coach and motivate team members to reach new levels of accomplishment and professional fulfillment
- Place professional development and employee growth as a priority
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Experience and/or expertise with remote team management
- Excellent written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and facilitation skills
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation for all events including the annual conference and trade show
- Professional certification preferred
- Availability for travel (20% of position requires in-state travel, out-of-state when necessary for conferences, tradeshows, etc.)
- While performing the responsibilities of this position, the employee will work in hybrid-remote position that encompasses a home office, typical office conditions, as well as in outdoor weather conditions
- The position reports to the President of the Association on day to day issues and the Executive Committee for the long term sustainability of the organization
- Employee must be able to constantly operate a computer and other standard office machines, and constantly communicate with internal staff as well as external partners
- Employee must be able to frequently remain in a stationary position as well as move about in the course of general duties
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to provide proof of valid auto insurance.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and current resume to [email protected]. Letters of interest will be accepted until June 23, 2023. Applications will be reviewed and interviews conducted in early August. It is intended for the successful candidate to begin in September 2023.
To find out more about mParks click https://www.mparks.org/resource/resmgr/mParks_Showcase_Deck_2023.pdfApplication Link