About the Organization
We. Love. Public Space. At the San Francisco Parks Alliance, we work with more than 200 partner organizations, city agencies, private sector clients and everyday citizens to ensure that our treasured city parks and public spaces thrive in communities throughout San Francisco. As we expand to serve even more parks and people, we are seeking a Director of Parks & Place to join our team. If you are a can-do team player, an innovative thinker and doer, and passionate about helping shape the future of public space in San Francisco, let’s talk.
Parks Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and life experiences. To apply, please send your resume and letter of interest to [email protected] with your name and this job title in the subject line.
About the Position
SFPA is building capacity for an exciting period of significant growth in transforming, activating and championing public spaces citywide. The Director of Parks & Place will play a vital role in that growth, leading the department that carries out Parks Alliance’s place-making mission work: transforming, championing and activating parks & public spaces citywide. This is an exciting opportunity to engage in civic entrepreneurship for both immediate and long-term impact. The position is based in the San Francisco Parks Alliance Office.
Department Leadership & Support (30%)
● Lead & manage 9-12 staff with support from Leadership team members (Deputy Director, Associate Director)
● Provide creative problem-solving guidance and support to P&P staff as they tackle often
never-been-done-before projects involving unique sites, communities and clients, and leverage innovative public place-making and community engagement tools
● Provide professional mentorship and support to P&P staff as they navigate people management, whether on internal teams (direct reports, cross-departmental projects) or external teams
(inter-agency collaborations, heterogenous multi-stakeholder community groups, cross-sector design teams)
● Work with P&P staff to identify new opportunities for increased mission impact – new sites, partners, vendors, clients, funders, etc.
● Together with Deputy & Associate Directors, identify existing and pipeline P&P special projects that require additional dedicated attention at the leadership level, and determine which of the three P&P Leadership Team members is best suited to take on the work, based on skillset & availability.
Citywide Public Space Initiative Co-Leadership (30%)
● Together with the CEO, co-lead the Initiative’s Parks Alliance team, in close partnership with the SF Mayor’s Office of Economic and Workforce Development and P&P staff. Director is the “face” of CPSI to OEWD client and external partners
● Set up and refine internal Initiative workflow processes in preparation for rapid scaling, including: project management systems and templates, site data collection methods, reporting templates, communications protocols with clients and communities, team roles and responsibilities internally and externally
● Track grant budget, reporting, and deliverables, ensuring milestones are reached on time and within budget
● Generate or guide generation of quarterly and semi-annual site progress reports, in partnership with P&P staff as well as R&D Department
● Seek out new project sites, partners, place-making equipment and/or activities, as a thought leader in pioneering compelling and impactful new public space activation strategies & tactics
SFPA Leadership (10%)
● Provide thought leadership at both strategic and tactical levels to CEO and rest of Executive Team, towards the organization’s overall growth and success
● Advance Parks Alliance’s implementation of its Strategic Plan goals, notably Goal #4: Develop Programming to Activate Spaces Citywide, and Goal #5: Establish Organization as a Thought Leader on Public Space, by serving as a Parks Alliance ambassador and by leveraging and growing professional networks for business & new revenue stream development.
Other duties as required as a member of the Parks & Place Team and the Parks Alliance Executive & Leadership Teams.
● Reports to the CEO, conducting weekly 1-on-1 meetings to review progress and challenges of P&P as well as overall organizational direction.
● Annual reviews will be held to review the Director’s performance.
● Weekly Executive Team meetings with CEO & other Directors; monthly Leadership Team meetings with expanded group including Deputy & Associate Directors.
● Lead the Parks & Place Department, including establishing and managing team and workflow optimization, scaled growth over time, monthly P&P department meetings and brainstorm sessions.
● Oversee 9-12 staff, including approving timesheets and credit card expenditures, and conducting weekly 1-on-1 meetings with direct reports to guide and support individuals’ work.
● Ensure upkeep of quarterly work plans with each P&P staff, and ensure quarterly and annual reviews are conducted.
● Excellent written and verbal skills; strong attention and commitment to detail in all external and internal communications
● Demonstrated ability to lead teams through change and growth
● Strong project management and people management skills: experience managing multi-phase projects from inception to completion; experience balancing and aligning priorities within cross-sector and heterogenous-stakeholder teams
● Strong internal team management skills; experience leading and managing multiple direct reports
● Experience collaborating within an organization and with external stakeholders, including clients, vendors, and partners to achieve desired outcomes; ability to proactively seek strategic partnerships and develop effective relationships; a strategic thinker who is thoughtful about partnerships and who is politically savvy
● Experience with creative and strategic problem-solving, using research and data analysis to set initial project focus and approach as well as to adjust in-progress project direction as needed to yield best results
● Experience and comfort working in a fast-paced start-up or rapid-growth environment, including building a flourishing department and managing and mentoring a team
● Experience fostering deep relationships with volunteers and valuing their contributions of time, expertise and passion
● Community engagement experience, including public relations, leading individual and group meetings, facilitating community workshops, and gracefully handling the unexpected
● Working knowledge of standard office software (Google drive, docs & email; Adobe Creative Suite; Microsoft Office, Salesforce and TaskRay)
● Bachelor’s degree
● Formal and or learned experience in an environmental design discipline (urban planning, urban design, landscape architecture, environmental planning, etc), public policy, business, or other fields related to public place-making
● Professional experience in the nonprofit sector, including familiarity with 501c3 rules, nonprofit Boards, and nonprofit development work
● Experience organizing community-building events and conferences, including managing vendor contracts, volunteer participation, and event run-of-show