The PPC is seeking a highly motivated individual for a full-time position as Director of Operations and Visitor Engagement. Overseeing the Operations and Visitor Engagement Department, the Director is a critical member of the management team. This position will oversee the daily operations at several critical public sites managed by the PPC, including Schenley Plaza, the Schenley Park Café and Visitors Center, and Mellon Square, while also overseeing facilities support at the Frick Environmental Center and a collection of other smaller park locations. This position will also liaison with a cross-departmental team in developing and implementing a robust range of ongoing public programming and partnerships in parks throughout Pittsburgh.
Performing under the direction of the Chief of Operations and Park Equity, the Director of Operations and Visitor Engagement will be responsible for:
Operations and Facilities Management
- Provide leadership for the management of park operations at identified sites, including facilities and & infrastructure maintenance, technical services, and fleet maintenance.
- Work with Chief of Operations and Park Equity and other PPC staff to develop and implement asset management plans at Schenley Plaza, the Schenley Park Cafe and Visitors Center, the Frick Environmental Center, Mellon Square, and others as assigned.
- Administer a robust visitor engagement program, ensuring all visitors feel welcome in vibrant public spaces supported by the PPC.
- Oversee adherence to Parks and Recreation rules and regulations, notifying vendors and users of violations. Position will take steps to seek compliance and contacts Park Rangers or City of Pittsburgh Police when need be.
- Liaison with internal PPC staff and external stakeholders to assist in managing a robust schedule of public events, programs, and private event rentals.
- Ensure there is an updated Emergency Response Plan across all work sites on an annual basis and manage emergency and other public safety communication protocols.
- Provide the leadership and direction to assure that the PPC provides welcoming and vibrant spaces in a variety of programmatic areas, including festivals, special events, health and wellness classes, play programming, movie nights, live music, family-friendly programming, and more in parks across the system.
- Coordinate with various PPC staff and community stakeholders to develop public programs in spaces the organization is active in that reflects resident’s priorities and voices.
- Coordinate programs with various Directors and staff from the City of Pittsburgh. This position will serve as a critical point of contact between the PPC and the City of Pittsburgh for the planning and execution of public programs in City parks.
- Develop and manage budgets to support public programs in tandem with Advancement Department.
- Ensure Advancement Department has details necessary to promote programming through a variety of marketing platforms and communication strategies.
Department Management and Leadership
- Hire, coach, manage, and mentor staff that includes 3-5 direct reports and an overall team team of 10 or more seasonal employees.
- Manage the schedule for all departmental employees, including seasonal hires.
- Prepare and manage the annual departmental budget, project budgets, and goals the department.
- Develop, negotiate, and manage departmental contracts and leases.
- Support the Advancement Department in grant writing and administration as need be for initiatives supported by private fundraising.
- Collaborate and coordinate with all other departments to collectively support achieving organizational goals.
- Present updates at Board of Directors committee meetings.
- Represent the PPC externally by liaising with a large network of stakeholders, serving as a spokesperson for the organization as needed, and speaking at conferences and panels, both locally and nationally.
Training and Experience (position requirements at entry)
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in park and recreation administration, tourism development and management, nonprofit management, facilities management, event management, or a related field. Professional experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- At least five (5) years of successful work experience in nonprofit programming, event management, operations, or a related field.
- At least five (5) years of team leadership and management experience.
- Operational management experience in a customer facing role in a large, fast-paced, public facing environment.
- Proven experience and passion for outstanding customer service and customer care.
- Proven ability to remain calm and confident under pressure, using sound operational judgment to resolve complex issues.
- Experience in a management role, with a proven ability to lead, motivate, and develop a diverse team.
- A track record of working collaboratively as part of a team to deliver a high-quality visitor service.
- Experience and an understanding of health, safety and security standards as they affect a large public venue.
- Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively and confidently at all levels, with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize, co-ordinate and delegate tasks in order to meet deadlines while staying calm under pressure.
- Ability to handle face-to-face customer complaints with ease and authority, and to assess situations using discretion and judgement to find solutions to problems.
- This is a hybrid position, allowing for some office/at-home work, but requiring significant amounts of time to be spent in the parks, especially between April and October, in all weather conditions.
- Frequent weekend and evening work is required to perform the duties of this job.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to drive Conservancy vehicles in and around Pittsburgh.
- Must have Act 33, 34, and 114 clearances or be able to obtain them within 60 days of start.
The PPC offers the following benefits package to all full-time employees.
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Life insurance and short-term/long-term disability insurance offered at no-cost to employee
- Aflac supplemental insurance
- Twenty (20) paid vacation days and ten (10) paid company holidays, increasing to twenty-five (25) paid vacation days after two years of employment.
- 403(b) retirement savings program with company match
- Hybrid work model
- Professional development opportunities
- Discount on PPC merchandise
The PPC is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or other protected characteristics.Application Link