Memphis River Parks Partnership is a nonprofit organization that works with and for the people of Memphis to trigger the transformative power of the Mississippi River. We manage, maintain, and activate five miles of riverfront parks. We lead capital projects, foster park stewards and develop innovative programs in pursuit of a “riverfront for everyone.” We believe strongly that a better Memphis begins at the riverfront.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Director of Field Operations leads a team of approximately 20, including supervisors, park rangers and specialists. With three shifts working seven days a week, 365 days a year, the Director is responsible for delivering an outstanding riverfront – a riverfront that is noticeably clean, with well-maintained facilities and thriving landscape, and team members who make people feel welcome and safe on the riverfront.
• Organizational Vision:
• Serve as a member of the senior management team, contributing to the overall vision and goals of Memphis River Parks Partnership.
• Internal Team Leadership:
- Build a team of energetic, capable, and collaborative self-starters who deliver a quality guest experience.
- Develop and execute best-practices and safety training for team members, improving the skills of individual Rangers and expanding the capabilities of Field Operations as a whole.
- Set priorities and manage both daily tasks and changing projects, relying on strategy, process, technology, clear delegation of responsibilities and strategic staff deployment.
- Develop and use data to report and improve results in real time and continuously.
- Regularly survey the parks to be aware of their current condition, to anticipate potential maintenance needs and to evaluate team members’ quality of work.
• External Team Leadership:
- Work smoothly with City of Memphis directors and employees, including General Services, Public Works, Engineering and Memphis PoliceDepartment.
- Source, select, negotiate with and manage contractors to perform special projects throughout the park system assets.
• Fleet & Equipment Management & Procurement:
• Ensure all Memphis River Parks vehicles, tools and equipment are properly maintained and ready for deployment.
• Recommend and negotiate for equipment purchases to support the work of Field Operations.
- Manage an annual budget and adhere to the approved spending.
- Anticipate operational needs of existing and new parks and facilities and build them into staffing plans and budget.
- Manage payroll and administrative duties for all Field Operations staff.
• External Communications:
• Respond professionally to constituents who have complaints, inquiries and
suggestions for improvement.
- Successful experience in field operations over multiple sites, involving landscaping, sanitation, construction and/or maintenance
- Demonstrated ability to hire and lead a diverse and skilled team and manage multiple, simultaneous tasks and projects
- Demonstrated ability to develop and use data for decision-making
- Excellent project management skills
- Energetic self-starter in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Ability to prioritize and tackle the work with energy and urgency
- Strong communication skills
- Successful experience sourcing, selecting, negotiating with and managing contractors
- Ability to work successfully in a collaborative environment and build trust with others
- Motivated by the mission of the Partnership and committed to delivering a “Disneyland” experience on the riverfront
- Motivated to “walk the property” to see what’s happening
Compensation and benefits:
- Salary offered is commensurate with experience.
- A full benefits package is offered including 4O1K matching contributions.
- Opportunity for professional development and to participate in national and local networks.To apply:
Thank you for your interest in the Partnership. Please prepare a formal letter of interest, up- to-date resume, and portfolio of work and three professional references as PDF, DOC or website.
Submit your documents and your salary requirements to: [email protected]
No phone calls or mailed applications. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.