The High Line is both a nonprofit organization and a public park on the West Side of Manhattan. Through our work with communities on and off the High Line, we’re devoted to reimagining public spaces to create connected, healthy neighborhoods and cities.
Built on a historic, elevated rail line, the High Line was always intended to be more than a park. You can walk through the gardens, view art, experience a performance, enjoy food or beverage, or connect with friends and neighbors—all while enjoying a unique perspective of New York City.
Nearly 100% of our annual budget comes through donations. The High Line is owned by the City of New York and we operate under a license agreement with NYC Parks.
- Oversee the Facilities & Engineering staff, composed of seven engineers and technicians, prioritize and assign the daily work orders, respond to time critical requests and create plans for longer term repair and maintenance work.
- Oversee the Custodial department, composed of a custodial manager and twelve custodians (additional seasonal custodians as needed.). Ensure high standards of cleanliness and that staff schedules are in line with work needed, and that tasks are appropriately assigned. Plan for seasonal projects, such as deep cleaning hardscape during seasonal months.
- In coordination with the vp of park operations, oversee the operations administration department, composed of an operations manager and data coordinator.
- Provide strategy and project management oversight for immediate and long range repair and maintenance projects.
- Identify, strategize, and manage the execution of special projects, such as long term repair needs related to operations; keep all stakeholders updated on the process as appropriate; coordinate with appropriate parties to ensure quality control measures are met through entire project lifecycle and work collaboratively with Planning and Design department to ensure design intent needs are met.
- Oversee vendor and contractor relations for the department, including the request for proposal (RFP) process, execution of contracts, and ensure that vendors meet all contractual and insurance requirements
- Oversee the implementation, review, and update of a GIS-driven management plan, and preventative maintenance plans tracked in the High Line’s enterprise asset management system (EAM): Cartegraph
- Develop a system of key performance indicators (KPIs) based on industry standards and sustainability best practices to benchmark performance and improve departmental operational efficiency
- Manage budget lifecycle of overall department’s budget and provide strategic support to Operations leadership in annual budget allocation and planning and participate in quarterly departmental budget reviews
- Support vice president of park operations in the development, implementation, and tracking of quarterly objectives and key results (OKRs) for the Facilities Department, and oversee the tactical implementation of departmental strategy under the Operations Division’s strategic plan
- Partner with program departments such as Art, Public Programs, Education, Food & Beverage, Retail, to ensure that their program needs are met through repair, cleanliness, electrical requirements and the like.
- Participate in emergency planning, incident command system (ICS) protocols, and OSHA compliance; implement and maintain long-term safety and security plan for the organization; participate in facilitating the inhouse safety committee.
- Oversee the park telecommunications systems for the High Line and headquarters, including access control, security cameras, radio network, emergency phones, and fiber backbone
- In coordination with the Planning and Design department, serve as a leader on special projects such as planning for visitation studies, sidewalk sheds for neighboring buildings, evaluating additional office and space
- Support the vice president of park operations on overseeing general operations administration and related matters
- 7+ years of building and facilities management experience
- Experience overseeing custodial and engineer/technical staff
- Project management experience
- Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and be flexible to change priorities
- Experience in both short-term and long-term planning
- Excellent verbal and written communicator
- Able to creatively problem solve with diplomacy and humor
- Facility with computer programs, including email, documents, spreadsheets, and ease with other proprietary systems
- Previous experience in bidding and contract management
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high results in ongoing cleanliness and maintenance
- Background in managing projects on a schedule and budget
- OSHA 30
- Progressive experience in custodial, engineering, or technical trades
- Prior experience managing an outdoor environment including urban park administration
This position manages an outdoor park and indoor office building. Must be able to work consistently outside, in all weather on a flexible schedule, including weekends and nights as needed.
- 20 vacation days, 6 sick days, 9 paid holidays, and 2 floating holidays
- Paid primary and secondary caregiver leave
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Supplemental short-term disability insurance and paid life insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Contribution in a 403(b) retirement plan
- Discounted Citi Bike membership
- Discount on High Line merchandise
- Employee Assistance Program