NYC Parks is a design award-winning city agency that builds and cares for public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. These public spaces, encompassing over 5,000 properties and 14% of the city’s land and coastline, include seawalls and waterfronts, pedestrian bridges, beaches and boardwalks, parks and playgrounds, historic houses, recreation centers and pools.
With a dedicated team of up to 30 architects, the Director of Architecture is a leadership position at NYC Parks responsible for architectural design and solutions for these beloved public spaces and structures. The work of our Architectural unit impacts neighborhood growth, public health, local commerce and sustainability initiatives throughout all five boroughs of New York City. Architectural projects are diverse and located on the main stage of the world’s most renowned park system and city. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks.
- Manage the Capital Project Division’s in-house architectural design team of approximately 30 architectural staff, as well as support staff.
- Provide leadership to in-house architects on major design goals, key decisions, contracts preparation, changes and other issues.
- Determine and prioritize work assignments to achieve annual project completion goals.
- Monitor design process and its progress to ensure code compliance and efficient, effective, quality design within budget.
- Manage project schedules, priorities and emergencies.
- Ensure that all architectural designs result in efficiently constructed and maintainable buildings.
- Ensure that Department of Buildings (DOB) and other required regulatory approvals are in place as per project schedule.
- Sign and seal architectural and other official documents.
- Recommend the use of, and manage Architectural Consultants to supplement in-house staff resources and perform specialized work.
- Establish and implement design guidelines and standards for Parks’ facilities and equipment.
- Evaluate completed projects and apply lessons learned into new standards and designs.
- Assist in developing long-term financial needs and strategic plans for the construction and reconstruction of Parks buildings.
- Work and communicate with various agency stakeholders.
- Support and coordinate work with other Capital design and construction units, such as landscape architecture, engineering and construction management.
- Prepare status reports and presentations for senior management and recap issues requiring their input.
- Prepare presentations and exhibits for professional, business, government and community groups, as requested.
- Represent Parks at external meetings and reviews.
- Collaborate with the Personnel Department to develop staff training for professional development, continuing education seminars, LEED certification and licensure.
- Provide support for other NYC agencies performing work on behalf of Parks.
- A valid New York State Registration as an Architect is required. In addition, candidates must have six (6) years of full-time paid experience in architectural work, at least two (2) years of which shall have been as an administrative architect.This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- Over 5 years of experience supervising a staff of 15 or more.
- Demonstrated ability to manage 30 or more projects simultaneously.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, GIS and project tracing software a plus.
- Knowledge of the following specialized disciplines: sustainable/”green” design, historic preservation/conservation, ADA/Universal design concepts, urban design and/or public art.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- A driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $120K – $131K plus excellent benefits. Apply by 11/01/19.
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
- Search for Job ID#: 411029For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parksReferences will be required upon request.