Post Date: March 9th, 2020
Organization: City Parks Alliance
Office/Location: Washington, DC
Supervisor: Emma Ruehl, Digital Marketing & Design Manager
Dates: May 18, 2020 – July 10, 2020 (8 weeks)
Stipend: $4,000 + $1,000 living expenses stipend ($5,000 total)
City Parks Alliance is the only independent, nationwide membership organization solely dedicated to urban parks. The mission of the City Parks Alliance is to engage, educate and nurture a broad-based constituency to support the creation, revitalization, and sustainability of parks and green spaces that contribute to more vibrant and equitable cities.
City Parks Alliance leads and serves the community of diverse organizations that encompass the parks world, from neighborhood groups to government agencies, championing high-quality urban parks throughout the nation. City Parks Alliance is vital to sound public policy and citizen engagement that recognizes city parks as an integral part of forming strong, vibrant cities that nurture their communities and local economies. Our vision is that everyone in urban America will have access to parks and green spaces.
The ParkXChange Resource Library is searchable library of park resource documents, including cross-sector MOUs, equity action plans, agreements for park maintenance and operations, green infrastructure development and maintenance, community benefits, arts/cultural programming and events, as well as other resource guides and technical tools to support park partnerships and advocacy for equitable allocation of urban parks. It is the only resource of its kind, serving our network of urban park agencies, nonprofits, and other park practitioners and advocates. We currently have over 200 documents in the library.
The Digital Marketing Intern will help expand the ParkXChange Resource Library, with a goal of adding 25 additional documents during the internship and will learn how to manage an online database housed within a WordPress content management system. The intern will also practice valuable skills, such as blog writing, social media management, and email marketing.
This is a paid internship, with $4,000 allocated for the internship plus an additional $1,000 to offset the cost of living expenses ($5,000 total). The period of the internship will be from May 18, 2020, to July 10, 2020. This on-site position will require 15-20 hours per week in our office in Dupont Circle, Washington D.C. (some flexibility of schedule available). An office computer will be provided for use during the internship.
City Parks Alliance internships are temporary, experience-based learning opportunities with no expectation of employment at the internship’s conclusion.
- Source, upload, and configure new items to the ParkXChange Resource Library, an online database of urban park & recreation-related documents
- Perform updates to the cityparksalliance.org website via the WordPress content management system, WordPress
- Author blog posts about ParkXChange Resource Library items and how parks professionals can benefit from them
- Promote blog posts and new resource library items on social media channels by using a social media management tool
- Assist with email marketing initiatives
- Assist with gathering and editing content for online Equitable Funding Hub
VALUE TO THE INTERN
The intern will gain experience under the mentorship of marketing and urban park professionals at the only independent, nationwide membership organization solely dedicated to urban parks. Students may also be eligible for academic credit at the discretion of their college/university. The intern will gain knowledge in the following areas:
- Working with website content management system
- Writing blog articles
- Managing social media channels
- Working with email marketing software
- Learning about urban park and recreation issues
- Learning about city government agencies and nonprofit partnerships
- Experiencing a working office environment
- Developing task organization skills
- Working with development department to help best promote benefits to members
- Ability to work at least 15-20 hours per week
- Bachelor’s level studies (or equivalent years of experience) required; current juniors, seniors, or graduate students preferred.
- Studies or demonstrated interest in related subject matter preferred (marketing, communications, outdoor leadership, park and recreation, social justice, urban planning, etc.)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and GSuite products (Xcel, Word, Docs, Sheets)
- Excellent attention to detail
- Organizational skills: ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, friendly and professional demeanor
- Ability to speak and write clearly in English
- Regular and reliable attendance
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and 2-3 writing samples to [email protected] with the subject line “Digital Marketing Internship Application.” Applications are due no later than March 30, 2020.
City Parks Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse work environment. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, genetics, age, disability, or veteran status.