Fairmount Park Conservancy brings parks to life. We work with the City of Philadelphia and its communities to steward our parks and nurture our shared environment, cultural resources, and public health. We lead capital projects and historic preservation efforts, foster neighborhood park stewardship, attract and leverage investments, and develop innovative programs throughout the 10,200 acres that include Fairmount Park, six other watershed parks and more than 130 neighborhood parks and gardens around the city.
With assistance from the Director of Conservation and Conservation Supervisor, the Conservation Technician will be responsible for helping to execute manual work for the architectural conservation services team. This position requires competency in hands-on preservation trade work, good problem-solving abilities, and the ability to perform quality handwork in a timely manner.
Duties broadly focus on the performance of assigned tasks within architectural conservation projects, and successfully administering the following duties:
- Performing preservation field and shop work, focusing on completing tasks assigned by senior staff
- Maintaining high standards under time constraints typical for contract work
- Maintaining safe and healthy work environments in the workshop and on all job sites
- Effectively communicating project information to team members
- Maintaining responsible, ethical, and team-oriented relationships among clients and coworkers
- Participating in periodic community outreach workshops that focus on familiarizing participants in practicable preservation techniques and basic preservation philosophies
- Preferred experience includes hands-on woodworking, building trades, or historic trades experience (2+ years)
- Preference will be given to candidates with education in the building trades or related field
- Familiarity with and passion for the approaches, materials, and ethic of field of Historic Preservation
- Focused listening, observation, and comprehension skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively in both a written and oral manner
- Ability to prioritize and plan work schedules and use time effectively
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a collaborative manner
- Ability to work extended hours as required
- Required to possess a set of personal hand tools for use in the field
- Required to possess valid state driver’s license and personal transportation to job sites
- Strong multi-tasking and time management skills
- Must bring a proactive, result oriented approach to tasks
The starting salary for this position is $44,000 – $48,000. Additionally, Fairmount Park Conservancy offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision, as well as life, disability, and retirement benefits.
The Fairmount Park Conservancy does not discriminate based on ethnicity, race, gender, or sexual orientation and encourages all qualified individuals to apply.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
All employees at the Fairmount Park Conservancy must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Successful applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination. Reasonable accommodations will be considered for those with qualifying medical or religious exemptions.Application Link