Community Programs Manager
The Presidio Trust is seeking a Community Programs Manager to join the Visitor Engagement Department. The Presidio of San Francisco, formerly a 1,491-acre Army post, is now a new kind of national park with a richly layered history; natural landscapes with wildlife and native plants; historic former military homes and buildings animated by 3,000 residents and 200 organizations; and some of the most iconic views of the San Francisco Bay. The park offers a welcoming mix of visitor experiences, including museums, art, archaeological sites, a panoramic network of trails, and diverse recreation opportunities. The Visitor Engagement Department provides welcoming and meaningful opportunities for all to enjoy their national park.
The Community Programs Manager leads a dynamic team of professionals focused on promoting access and enjoyment of the Presidio by conceiving, developing and implementing place-based programs that appeal to all, with special emphasis on reaching local communities that have historically been underrepresented in national parks. Community Programs is one of four teams in the Visitor Engagement Department, joined by Visitor Services, Education Programs and Interpretation. The work of the Department is guided by the Trust’s mission which seeks to “…bring alive the unique historic, natural and recreational assets of the Presidio for the inspiration, education, health, and enjoyment of all people.”
Our ideal candidate is a natural collaborator with excellent communication skills. They are an adroit leader who builds trust, engages others, and forges and maintains a high functioning team. They are strategic and can adeptly navigate through ambiguity to provide clarity and direction, always mindful of the agency mission and charter of the team. To be successful in this role, high emotional intelligence is of equal import to strategic thinking.
Applications received by March 2, 2020 will receive first consideration. We are planning to hold the first round of interviews beginning the week of March 9, 2020 with second round the week of March 23, 2020. Pending successful selection, a job offer will be made in as soon as possible, and a work start date set as soon as possible.
- Primary areas of responsibility include Strategy & Partnerships (35%), Team Leadership (35%) and Staff Development & Management (30%).
- Oversee the strategic focus and ongoing alignment of the newly emerging Community Programs’ team efforts with the agency’s goals.
- Develop a network of local community-based organizations, government agencies and other strategic partners to ensure the Presidio serves as a platform for community use and benefit.
- Actively work to foster an environment that embraces the principles of relevancy, equity and inclusion.
- Build and maintain a high functioning, thriving team that operates with a shared understanding of common goals and clarity of purpose.
- Communicate the work of the team in an effective, compelling and consistent manner.
- Use qualitative and quantitative data, staff expertise, a cost-benefit framework, and relevant social research to guide decision-making.
- Serve in a leadership capacity on agency initiatives relevant to the work of the team, and as a liaison with counterparts within the Visitor Engagement Department, other Trust Divisions and partner organizations.
- Oversee the administrative and operational functions to ensure a cohesive, relevant array of programs and events.
- Lead team to develop and implement new systems, processes and tools where needed to bring more efficiency and value to the work.
About the Visitor Engagement Team
The Visitor Engagement Team is dedicated to welcoming and sharing the Presidio experience with people of all ages and backgrounds. They develop and manage both free public programming and revenue generating activities, bringing outdoor programs and signature events to the park. The team supports community outreach and engagement, provides opportunities to build meaningful connections to place through site-based art exhibitions, recreation and wellness activities, and develops self-guided adventures for guests through our trails, camping, and organized sports. The team also manages special park uses/permitting. In partnership with the National Park Service and Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy, the department supports ongoing staffing of the Presidio Visitor Center and Welcome Desk at the Officers’ Club.
The Presidio Trust has identified this position as subject to a standard employment background investigation, which shall consist of a review of applicable county, state and Federal criminal and civil records. An individual’s granting of a background investigation and resulting report is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of the investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete a background investigation.
The position may require the completion of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics (OGE) Form 278, Public Financial Disclosure Report, both as a New Entrant into the position and annually thereafter. The purpose of the financial disclosure system is to assist employees and their agencies in avoiding conflicts between their official duties and private financial interests and affiliations.
The Presidio Trust is an equal opportunity employer, offering a competitive benefits package. To apply call (415) 561-5300 (Monday-Friday, 8 am – 5 pm) to request an application package, OR download the application from our website, www.presidio.gov, and mail the application to Employee Support Services, Presidio Trust, P.O. Box 29052, San Francisco, CA 94129-0052.