The mission of the Central Park Conservancy is to restore, manage, and enhance Central Park in partnership with the public. Central Park’s history, design, cultural significance, and 843 acres of diverse landscapes offer countless opportunities for discovery. Central Park Conservancy Guides facilitate a variety of tours and hands-on programs focused on the Park’s natural and cultural significance through the lens of the Conservancy’s management. These programs inform and engage Park visitors in order to enhance their experience and foster stewardship of this world-class urban park.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Leading tours and other public programs for adults and children.
- Conveying the Park’s history, ecology, design, and cultural significance through tours and hands-on facilitation, while also promoting respectful use and importance of the Conservancy’s management of the Park.
- Supporting the visitor experience by staffing visitor centers.
- Tracking attendance and related administrative tasks.
- Other duties and related activities as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or 2+ years professional experience working in public programming, customer service, or related field;
- A strong interest in promoting the role of the Central Park Conservancy as Central Park’s caretaker;
- Strong customer-service skills, with the ability to be a positive, professional representative of the Central Park Conservancy, even in challenging situations;
- Excellent communication skills, and a desire to work with a diverse public audience of New Yorkers and visitors from around the world;
- Ability to inform a broad audience using both formal and informal methods (i.e. conversations and formal programs/tours);
- Flexible, organized, team player with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Familiarity with desktop and mobile technologies, including proficiency in Microsoft Office applications;
- Flexibility to report to and work in locations throughout the Park;
- Must be able to speak, read, and write fluent English. Bilingual preferred.
- Existing knowledge of Central Park and the Conservancy a plus