Status: Full-time, non-exempt, Summer 2020
Reports to: Capital Projects Manager
The Greenway is the contemporary public park in the heart of Boston that welcomes millions of visitors annually to gather, play, unwind, and explore. The Greenway Conservancy has sole responsibility for managing all aspects of The Greenway. We envision a vibrant, inclusive, and evolving gathering place that offers healthy green space; fun, engaging, and thought-provoking experiences; and a testing ground for new ideas. We pursue our mission through park care that sustains year-round beauty, ensures safety, and models environmental stewardship; robust programming that showcases and supports the ingenuity and breadth of our community; and temporary exhibitions of contemporary public art that facilitate artistic experimentation and speak to our current moment; raising the standard of excellence for urban park management.
The Greenway Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Greenway Conservancy is seeking a highly motivated and reliable individual for a full-time, paid summer position as a Capital Projects and Maintenance (CPM) Intern. This is an opportunity to join a dynamic, young organization and learn the key skills required for planning and executing both large and small maintenance and enhancement projects in a public park.
The role of the CPM Intern is to support the Maintenance Department with the planning and implementation of enhancement and repair projects on The Greenway. Responsibilities will include assisting with all phases of enhancement projects (planning, design, and construction) and with the project management of placemaking efforts, capital repairs, and safety improvements.
This is a full-time, summer intern position from approximately mid-May to the end of August.
The CPM Intern will work on multiple projects and be expected to perform assigned projects or duties as they relate to Capital Projects and Maintenance such as:
- Supporting the improvement of documents and tools for better organization and planning within the Maintenance Department.
- Managing contractor schedules and assisting in office tasks and administrative duties as needed, including the reorganization of digital files and
- Supporting projects with a focus on data analysis/collection.
- Research and present new project content for 2021.
- Assist with the management of project budgets and timelines, write project summaries, produce project graphics.
- Work outdoors, handle physical tasks, and conduct work with professionalism and compassion for everyone encountered.
- Contribute to effective relationships with third-party vendors, contractors, organizations, and Greenway personnel. Attend relevant meetings with third-parties.
- Write a blog highlighting the summer maintenance projects for the Conservancy website.
- Entry level position for a person 18 years or older.
- Valid driver’s license preferred and the ability to occasionally drive a Conservancy vehicle around downtown Boston. Training will be provided.
- Experience/interest in landscape architecture, urban planning, construction management, creative placemaking, community activation and/or the nonprofit sector a plus.
- Demonstrated skill in:
- Building and maintaining successful collaborations and partnerships;
- Multitasking and attention to detail;
- Written and oral communication;
- Creative problem-solving and staying calm under pressure.
- Computer proficiency, especially with Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather, kneel or stand for periods of time, and be able to lift 50 pounds.
- This is a paid position with sick time benefits. We are looking for assistance up to 40 hours per week with preference to candidates who are available full-time.
- The position duration is up to 15 weeks, beginning in May 2020.
- Work hours are generally 9a-5p Monday through Friday at the Conservancy’s office, 185 Kneeland Street Boston, MA 02111
- Work will generally take place indoors, but will likely involve some time in the parks in all weather conditions.
- We will work with interns to receive college credit if interested.
- Please email a one-page cover letter, resume, and 3 references to: [email protected] with job title in the subject line. Each file name should begin with applicant’s last name.
- Applicants are encouraged to send materials by the end of March 2020. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.