Are you ready to make a tangible impact on your community’s transportation infrastructure? Join us in an exciting role that revolves around the heartbeat of our county’s development – the Capital Improvements to Existing RTS Program. As an integral part of our team, you’ll be at the forefront of engineering innovation, ensuring that our regional trails are not just functional, but also designed with the utmost consideration for the safety and convenience of cyclists and pedestrians. Your expertise will be put to the test as you meticulously analyze projects for compliance with industry standards, such as the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Official (AASHTO) Guide for the Development of Bicycle Facilities, the WSDOT Design Manual, the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), and other pivotal guidelines. Join us in shaping a brighter, more sustainable future for our city, one regional trail improvement at a time!
In this dynamic role, you’ll wear multiple hats as the program manager, project manager, and technical engineer. Your responsibilities will encompass a wide array of exciting projects, ranging from enhancing trails and parks to optimizing parking lots. You’ll also play a vital part in the design review process, setting new design standards, and ensuring the accuracy and upkeep of data inputs for our asset management system. It’s a role that offers variety, challenges, and the opportunity to make a significant impact on our projects, ensuring they run smoothly and efficiently.
Additionally, the incumbent will play a crucial role in identifying, prioritizing, and strategizing the essential elements and investments required to align our existing Regional Trail System (RTS) with current standards and guidelines. Simultaneously, they’ll be responsible for upholding our commitment to deliver on the 2020-2025 Parks Levy initiatives and other assigned projects. This multifaceted position demands the ability to manage a Capital Improvement Program (CIP) and oversee multiple projects while assuming a prominent technical leadership role.
Park’s mission is to steward, enhance, and acquire parks to inspire healthy communities. We seek to cultivate strong relationships with community partners to enhance park amenities for all King County residents to enjoy today and for generations to come. The King County Parks system includes more than 205 parks, 33,000 acres of open space, 175+ miles of regional trails, and 250+ miles of backcountry trails.
The Engineering Unit is one of five units with the Parks Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Section. The CIP Section is tasked with planning, designing, and successfully delivering capital projects that are a part of the six-year levy. The CIP Section has a diverse set of skills including engineering, architecture, environmental, permitting, project management, asset management, planning, contracting, and construction management that are applied across a wide array of projects, programs, and portfolios. The organization has thoughtful leadership that empowers capital project managers to deliver improvements to the county’s parks and trail system while supporting employee belonging, growth, and development, and allowing employees to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Why is this a great opportunity?
King County is home to one of the largest regional trail networks in the country. Regional trails provide both recreational opportunities and mobility options, connecting users with dedicated routes to parks, transit, work, school, and other destinations. The Engineering Unit plays a key role in maintaining this network by inventorying, evaluating, assessing, prioritizing, designing, and implementing infrastructure safety improvements of existing assets to current guidelines throughout the vast regional network of roughly 300 miles. Regional Trails provide residents and visitors the ability to recreate and to get from place to place easily. They can readily access the outdoors, and experience and enjoy the vibrant communities and cultures that make King County a unique and wonderful place to start a lifelong adventure or journey.
About King County Parks:
King County Parks is dedicated to stewarding, enhancing, and acquiring parks to inspire healthy communities. With over 205 parks, 175+ miles of regional trails, and 250+ miles of backcountry trails, we strive to provide park amenities that can be enjoyed by King County residents today and for generations to come. We value collaborative partnerships with community organizations and work towards the common goal of creating a vibrant and inclusive park system. Learn more at www.kingcounty.gov/parks.
And check us out on the socials at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Vimeo.
Who is eligible to apply: This position is open to all qualified candidates.
This position will be filled as a Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Special Duty Assignment (SDA) and is anticipated to last for up to 3 years, with the possibility of being extended.
Note that Special Duty Assignments are available to internal career service employees who have passed their initial probation period. Employees must get approval from their current supervisor/manager to accept a Special Duty Assignment.
This is predominantly a remote position, with onsite work requirements as informed by business needs. This position reports onsite on the first day of employment for orientation and approximately 2-10 times per quarter, subject to change based on business needs. Employees must reside in Washington State and be within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to meet workplace reporting requirements.
- Work Schedule: This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is not overtime-eligible.
- Union Representation: This position is represented by Protec 17.
- As program manager of the Capital Improvements to Existing Regional Trail System Program, prioritize and improve existing infrastructure assets within the King County Parks Regional Trails to meet current engineering guidelines. This includes managing the program budget and schedule, inventorying and prioritizing issues across the King County Parks Regional Trial system, assisting with CIP budget planning, and completing necessary internal processes on behalf of the program.
- As project manager, independently and proactively manage internal and external multi-disciplinary teams through planning, acquisition, design, permitting, construction, and closeout of capital projects. Tasks also include preparing necessary documentation for projects, making presentations, facilitating internal and external meetings, coordinating project-specific outreach with the Parks Engagement Team, regular internal project status reporting, contract administration for design and construction contracts, and construction management activities.
- As shared-use path technical lead, coordinate the evaluation of project design challenges, synthesize engineering criteria from multiple design guidelines, research existing and emerging codes/regulations/guidance documents as well as emerging products, make recommendations for solutions, identify and scope technical studies and data collection, update Parks Standard Plans, and documenting deviations from design guidelines as needed.
- Assist with continuous process improvement for the Parks Capital Improvement Program.
- Other duties to support Capital Improvement Projects as assigned.
Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Demonstrated experience independently managing projects (scope, schedule, and budget) with multi-disciplinary teams through all project phases.
- Oral and written communication skills and experience required for giving presentations and meeting facilitation.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret design drawings, specifications, technical maps, and other technical documents or reports.
- Demonstrated ability to work on and/or manage multiple projects or tasks simultaneously, while still producing high-quality deliverables in a timely manner.
- Have an advanced level of computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Project, and PowerPoint) and project management and/or construction management tracking software.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare basic maps and visuals to communicate information using tools such as aerial photos, GIS, Bluebeam, Adobe tools, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, or similar software.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor a team, fostering collaboration, and driving high performance.
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Valid Driver’s License
- Professional Civil Engineering License
- Experience that demonstrates proficiency and a high degree of skill in civil engineering.
- Experience with transportation engineering, shared-use path design, bicycle facilities, and/or the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
- Project Management Professional certification or equivalent training.
- Professional Traffic Operations Engineer certification.
- Demonstrated ability and experience administering both design and construction contracts.
The Successful Candidate Will Have the Following Competencies
- Manages complexity to make sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Communicates effectively to convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of projects to different audiences.
- Drives results to consistently achieve results even under tough circumstances.
- Manages ambiguity to operate effectively even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Organizational savvy to maneuver comfortability through complicated policy, process, and people-related organizational dynamics.
Application and Selection Process: Application materials will be screened for clarity, completeness, and responses to the list of qualifications, skills, and abilities. The most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in one or more panel interviews. Applications without the following required materials may not be considered for this position.
- King County Application – please fill out your application as fully as possible. We cannot accept attached resumes (or “see resume”) in lieu of the application section.
- Cover Letter (optional, but will be reviewed if submitted)
- Resume (optional, but will be reviewed if submitted)
- Responses to Supplemental Questions.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Rodney O. Dungo
HR Analyst – Senior
Forbes named King County as one of Washington State’s best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we’re changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation’s best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our “True North”, we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles – we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact the recruiter listed on this job announcement.Application Link