The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), a six-time National Recreation and Parks Association Gold Medal Award Winner, is looking for a confident self-starter to assist the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Manager in creating, analyzing, and monitoring the Department’s six-year CIP. This position is part of the CIP and Procurement Unit of the Park Development Division (PDD) of the Montgomery County Department of Parks. The Montgomery County Department of Parks, with a career staff of nearly 800 employees, serves a diverse population of more than one million residents in Montgomery County, Maryland, adjacent to Washington, D. C.
PDD is responsible for implementing the Department’s $235.8 million CIP, a 6-year plan for the acquisition, design, construction, and renovation of more than 37,000 acres of parkland within Montgomery County, Maryland.
This person will work directly with the CIP Manager and staff within PDD’s Design, Engineering, Architecture, Construction, and Procurement Units. However, due to the comprehensive nature of the CIP, the incumbent will also interface with staff in all divisions of Montgomery Parks, central staff at M-NCPPC, Montgomery County’s Office of Management and Budget and the State of Maryland’s Department of Natural Resources.
The primary duty of this position is to assist with the preparation and monitoring of the six-year CIP. Responsibilities include administrative and technical support for the CIP and management of Program Open Space (POS) grants in Montgomery County. This position requires advanced skills in Excel, an understanding of systems for financial tracking and asset management and the ability to master web-based financial and reporting programs. The ideal candidate is a highly experienced worker who is proactive, adaptable, requires minimal supervision, and can provide accurate information and analyses with a quick turnaround.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT DUTIES:
- Analyze revenues and expenditures, program requirements, staff recommendations, and management directives to develop budget requests with supporting documentation that explain and justify budget requests.
- Enter data into Montgomery County’s CIP system and prepare various budget scenarios.
- Calculate cost elements and funding sources for CIP Project Description Forms (PDFs) and reconcile expenditure schedules, funding sources, appropriations and cumulative appropriations to ensure accuracy on PDFs.
- Work with the Capital Budget Accountant to reconcile budgeting and accounting activities including between Council CIP Resolutions, County Billing reports, and Commission financial tracking.
- Prepare and process fund transfers, amendments, and supplemental appropriations for CIP projects and ensure that appropriate records are updated to reflect modifications.
- Assist CIP Manager with preparation of analyses, recommendations and staff reports to the Planning Board and to County Council staff.
- Query, organize and present data from the Commission’s Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system for a variety of CIP and Operating Budget purposes. Provide technical assistance to division staff on ERP functions as they relate to the CIP.
- Train and assist project managers, construction managers and other Department staff that use CIP funds to, run budget reports, and understand tracking of budgets, encumbrances, and expenditures.
- Query, organize and present data from the Commission’s Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) system. Provide technical assistance to division staff on EAM functions as they relate to the CIP.
- Monitor and report the spending rate of the fiscal year’s appropriated funds by project and overall.
- Prepare Operating Budget Impact (OBI) information for inclusion in the CIP and the Department’s annual operating budget.
- Prepare Montgomery County’s annual Program Open Space Annual Program for submission to the State of Maryland, including coordination with 19 County municipalities for grant applications, allocations, and reports.
- Maintain and extract data and reports from the Department’s project tracking database.
- Preparation of spreadsheets, instructions to departmental staff, and interpretation of results.
- Maintain positive and close working relationships with the team of Division Chiefs and Project Managers (including Engineers, Landscape Architects, Architects and Construction Managers) involved in capital projects throughout the park system to help the team solve problems and manage public expenditures efficiently and wisely.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management, Finance, Business or any related field.
- Four years of progressively responsible experience in Human Resource Management, finance or any related field.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together total 8 years.
All applicants should have strong computer skills, particularly in Excel, and experience with databases and database reports. Preference will be given to those with previous experience in preparing capital budgets and working with systems for enterprise resource planning and asset management. Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential to this position, as is the ability to work well under tight deadlines. Strong analytical skills are highly desirable.
M-NCPPC offers an excellent benefits package including leave, health coverage, a deferred compensation plan, and employer’s retirement plan, and work-life programs. The office is in Silver Spring, convenient to the downtown area and the Capital Beltway.
Salary: $61,231 – $104,980 annually
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE BY 11:59 PM 9/04/19 AT: Job #10627
https://www.mncppc.org/jobs ASSISTANT CIP MANAGER (Grade 26, 10627)
Our Office is located at:
6611 Kenilworth Avenue, Suite 103
Riverdale, MD 20737
An Equal Opportunity Employer