Job Summary: This position focuses on facilitating the implementation and installation of projects for Milwaukee County Parks (MCP) and partner organizations on County-owned property within the Milwaukee River Estuary Area of Concern (AOC) focus area. The goal is delisting the AOC’s Biological Use Impairments.
- Program Coordination – Serves as the Parks primary liaison to all AOC work groups and projects. Facilitates regular, internal and external communications, and coordination across diverse AOC-related initiatives.
- Project Oversight – Field supervision of ecological restoration and management projects conducted by County staff, contractors, and third parties on County-owned property. Ensures sensitive natural resources are protected and projects are implemented according to specifications.
- Data Collection – Assists with undertaking natural resource field assessments (flora and habitat surveys) to determine project prioritization for critical species habitat management, species preservation, and potential for native species reintroductions.
- Administrative Duties – All record keeping duties as they relate to project communications, contracts, purchasing, reports, right-of-entry permits, state and federal permits, and requests for proposals. Also responsible for all other administrative duties associated with Wisconsin DNR and EPA requirements.
- Public Outreach – Facilitates community outreach events prior to project implementations and after completion. Coordinates with Parks staff to manage social media posts, respond to emails, phone calls, media requests, and disseminating information on the MCP webpage.
- Planning – Development of ecological restorations and management plans for MCP properties within the AOC. Prepares inspection reports, permits, and enforces County standard practices. Reviews plans, drawings, specifications, and cost estimates.
- Land Management – Participates in on-the-ground implementation of Parks’ ecological restoration projects including but not limited to: invasive species removal, wildlife habitat management, reforestation, prairie establishment, and other land management duties as directed by the Natural Areas Coordinator.
- Partnership Management – Point of contact for all AOC third party project requests on MCP properties.
- Ability to safely and properly operate: vehicles, motorized equipment, and land management equipment.
- Ability to lift, carry, push and pull up to 30 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, License/Certification and Experience
- Current residency within the State of Wisconsin required
- Valid Wisconsin Driver’s License required and must be maintained throughout incumbency
- Bachelors degree or higher in Natural Sciences or closely related field required
- Three (3) years or more work experience in Natural Sciences required
- One (1) year or more work experience in a Supervisory or Management role required
- GIS certification preferred
- Previous program management work experience preferred